View Single Post
Old 11-10-2015, 07:14 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi33 View Post
Neurochic, you are right in thinking that citrus fruits are acidic because they contain citric acid.

However, your body contains about 30-40 litres of fluids which, as I mentioned above, are kept close to pH 7.4 through well-understood physiology.

A few mL of lemon juice (about 0.1% of your body fluids) will have a negligible effect on your body pH. The same quantitative reasoning applies to the allegedly "acidic" foods which most people eat in moderation, with no adverse health outcomes.
Its Ok - I do understand all this, without wishing to offend any individual poster or any other believers, I think the whole idea being touted in relation to acid/alkaline foods and diet is preposterous considering how the body's physiology works. I was extending an invitation to the person who was proposing this acid/alkaline diet business to explain the scientific basis of their belief system given that what they were doing seemed to directly contradict the principles of basic chemistry and physiology. Unfortunately, the internet is chock full of unscientific myths and opinion pieces masquerading as science or 'fact'. There are also countless millions of people out there who are keen to earn a living promoting and selling bizarre ideas to others using nothing more than persuasion, marketing and anecdote. If people don't have the resources to rigorously challenge what they are being told then it is always dangerous.

Last edited by Neurochic; 11-10-2015 at 07:15 PM. Reason: typo correction
Neurochic is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote