Thread: Need help!
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2015, 07:42 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Angels31,

Tooth #14 was infected since 2010 which had proliferated into the bone and into the sinus ... and #15 has been infected since on or before the day it was root canaled. Your ongoing symptoms indicate that antibiotics are not able to cure the problem.

As long as there is a physical reason for the infection to remain active, for instance infected tooth #15 and possibly the graft and sinus, the bacteria will continue to be infectious irrelevant of what antibiotics you take. Also with each additional antibiotic prescription you take you run the risk of acquiring an intestinal infection called Clostridium Difficile. This is a very debilitating infection that can take months to treat. Antibiotics are intended to be prescribed for very specific reasons and they cannot cure an infection when there is a physical reason for the infection to remain active.

It is normal to have soreness and minor swelling and discomfort 2 weeks post op oral surgery. However, your ongoing symptoms as you have stated them here are not normal healing post operative complaints. They are indicative of an ongoing infection. I'm sorry if I am repeating myself. I really don't know how else to explain it to you. If the oral surgeon seems uninterested in dealing with this infection, perhaps you should consult with someone else.

Bryanna
I definitely have an infection! Sorry if I seem dense, but all this dental stuff is new to me. You are right, the antibiotics make it feel a little better, but do not cure it. My oral surgeon did a panoramic X-ray and also a 3D x-ray and did not see any infection in #14. Wouldn't he be able to see it if there was an infection? He did think he saw infection in 15 but was not sure. I just put myself through a very bad experience this afternoon! After calling yesterday to make sure all the areas that you said should be included were in today's MRI, they told me they were. I found out that my neck was not included and it was just frontal face. They told me he was looking for trigeminal neuralgia. I know for a fact that this is not it! The guy doing the MRI was a complete jerk to me. I think I just wasted 270 dollars and my time on that! It is so frustrating. Meanwhile, I feel horrible. I have a follow up appointment on Monday with oral surgeon and I think I should just have him take #15 out! The whole left side of my face is hurting! I think it is originating in my tooth cause it feels weird. Even my neck is still swollen under my ear on the left side.
Angels31 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote