View Single Post
Old 11-13-2015, 03:30 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Major PCS setback

Hello everyone and thanks in advance for reading. First post, so let me give a brief overview of my situation. I suffered a mild concussion on March 21, 2015 by slipping on a tile bathroom floor, falling backward, and hitting the back of my head on the door. I fell to the ground pretty hard, tried to get back up, and fell again. I was definitely feeling out of it, but since alcohol played a role, I thought I was just hungover with a severe headache and moderate neck pain the following day. I didn't notice cognitive symptoms until Wednesday at work (I am an engineer) when severe dizziness and brain fog set in. I foolishly toughed it out at work the rest of the week and finally saw a doctor on the following Monday who diagnosed me with a mild concussion. CT scan was normal. I was told to go on brain rest for the rest of the week, which I did. I went back to work the following week, felt a little dizzy with a recurring pressure feeling in my head, but did okay. After a few weeks, the dizziness subsided and i was only left with intermittent head pressure, which I was told was normal and would eventually subside.

In June, I had a setback likely caused by stress, which left me with mild dizziness for a few weeks. Then in August, I had another setback likely caused by me thinking it was a good idea to go tubing off the back of a speed boat. This dizziness again lasted only a few weeks, and did not really affect my work too much. In September, I started running on a treadmill every other day and felt great. The pressure in my head was less frequent and my head felt the clearest it has been since March. I thought PCS was behind me for good...

Until the beginning of October, out of the blue, I was hit with extreme dizziness while at a County fair. I did not ride any rides and wasn't very stressed out, so I'm not sure what triggered it. However, I did drink a soda and a lot of sugary junk food that I don't usually eat before the dizziness set in. It is now 6 weeks later and the dizziness is still there. Two weeks ago, I switched to a part time work schedule since the dizziness, brain fog, and head pressure is worse when at the computer and doing brain intensive work.
On top of that, lately I have been hit with extreme anxiety and find it hard to relax when I am home alone not working. I just don't understand how I could feel so good in September and have the PCS symptoms come back out of nowhere and last longer than they have before. I keep thinking that they will never go away and that scares me to death. I feel the anxiety just makes everything worse. I also get really dizzy from too much stimulation from being in stores, public places, family gatherings, etc.

What should I do? I am seeing a neurologist but only had one appointment so far and just this week had an MRI and EEG done. I suspect these will be normal as well. I just don't know where to turn and am looking for any recommendations, words of wisdom, insight, or anything to make me feel a little better. Every day these past 6 weeks has been a real struggle. I started the vitamin regime two weeks ago and am taking L-tryptophan and L-theanine to help calm me down. My primary doctor gave me Xanax at a 0.25mg dose as needed, which actually helps but I am afraid to use it on a daily basis.

This first post was way longer than anticipated, so again thanks for reading!

-Jake
Blessed_with_PCS... is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote