View Single Post
Old 11-14-2015, 09:50 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
Jake,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. Your experience is not uncommon.

The fair event likely had a few components. Too much stimulation, lights, sounds, etc. Food maybe. Any beer ? Possibly a contributor. Your current issues with over-stimulation suggest you just did not realize your limitations to stimulations in the past.

I suggest you find someone other than the neuro. If he believes all these tests are worthwhile, it sounds like he is taking shots in the dark. Maybe a concussion clinic would be better.

You should try to find something to do when you are not working. Some gentle brain stimulation and mild exercise ( walking) to keep good brain blood flow will be good. Any form of hand/manual activities are usually good. An idle mind feeds anxiety.

You may have an upper neck issue than needs attention. The water tubing suggests maybe some whiplash from your fall was aggravated.

Good head and neck posture while resting and sleeping is important.

Do your anxiety issues come with an increased heart rate ? For me, I do just as well with a beta-blocker (propranolol) to reduce the heart rate so the anxiety reduces. Beta-blockers are easier than benzos (Xanax) and quicker acting for those occasional needs. But, keeping your anxiety levels low is important so do what you have to do. If you anxiety become chronic, an SNRI or SSRI may be a better long term choice. But avoid them until you have exhausted other means.

My best to you.

Thanks for the quick response! I did not have any beer at the fair. I, too would just chalk it up to too much over stimulation had I not taken my wife and two daughters to an amusement park the prior weekend without feeling any setbacks. I think this is what makes it so difficult for me. Being an engineer, I tend to analyze everything and just don't understand how I could be doing so well then have this huge setback out of nowhere. I am beginning to think the anxiety is what is causing this last setback to endure so long because the anxiety wasn't really an issue before.

I too am not impressed with my neurologist and will look into a concussion clinic, although, I am not sure how helpful that will be at this point. I do have an appointment on Wednesday with an Atlas Orthogonal Chiro to see if my neck is part of the problem and any corrections to my atlas need to be made. I am also seeing a psychologist on Thursday to see if that can help my anxiety.

My severe anxiety attacks do come with an elevated heart rate, but general anxiety does not. Most times I am just extremely restless and have a difficult time sitting or lying down and relaxing. At this point, by anxiety has more or less been there for almost 6 weeks, so maybe I am at the point of trying an SSRI? Is it possible 5HTP could help more than the L-tryptophan? I thought about ordering some but have heard it isn't as safe. But it would be a better option than an anti-depressant, right? I'm just trying to figure out my best course of action at this point. The past 6 weeks have been a nightmare and feel like I need to try something else.

-Jake
Blessed_with_PCS... is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote