View Single Post
Old 11-14-2015, 07:23 PM
Grand Magnate

8 yr Member
Grand Magnate

8 yr Member

"But if I choose to do the wired ethernet way, am I correct in assuming I just plug in an ethernet cable from the All In One to one of the ports on the router and that's it?? I don't have to configure, re-configure, etc.?"

That was my experience - my Linux laptop works that way.

If you want to access your router via WiFi you will need to know its IP address - usually they start with 192.168. There is information about finding the IP address here; http://www.computerworld.com/article...me-router.html .

Once you have done that you can contact your router using your browser (this might need an Ethernet connection the first time). It will ask for a password, which is often set by default to "admin" - it would be a good idea to change that to something more secure.

It is then a matter of following the instructions. This can be a bit fiddly - in my case my Billion Wifi router needed to know the username and password given to me by my ISP. You will probably be able to download a manual for your router, which could help.

The router should then know that you are a trusted WiFi client - your machine will automatically connect to the router by WiFi with no need to re-enter passwords, etc. This works for me with my Windows 7 laptop.