View Single Post
Old 11-15-2015, 08:33 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

AnnieB3, gosh, thanks so much for your long & thoughtful replay to my hair loss "tragedy" that has accompanied the onset of MG symptoms I started experiencing this Spring! Yes, I definitely have alopecia-- guess mine's called alopecia symptomatica. And yes, I've been tested for Lupus since 1971 over a dozen times. With every new Doctor comes another Lupus test. Always negative. But, then, I was negative for the RF (RA) rheumatoid factor for decades also even while my hands twisted & joints fell apart. Only after 40+ years did I begin to test positive for RA so I was labeled a "crank" & complainer for oh so many years & told I didn't have RA. This pattern, I fear, is starting all over with me having 100% of MG symptoms but testing sero-negative! And, yes, I queried my new Neuromuscular neurologist about the possibility of the prednisone preventing blood testing accuracy. I've also spent hours going over & over the symptoms of Sjogren's & polymyositis. Not my symptoms. I particularly thought at first that I had DERMATOMYOSITIS what with my RA & the sudden appearance of an extensive rash on my muscles but the symptoms didn't fit & my rheumatologist didn't consider it as a possibility either. My rash is of a petechiae nature (like tiny measles spots) & comes & goes with varying MG symptoms & even Colitis symptoms all arrive at the same time. I guess I didn't know there was a Doctor called a hematologist. Thanks-- I will look in to that as my GP Doctor said my iron & other blood factors were so poor I needed a transfusion but thats never happened. I've been reduced to more or less treating myself this summer as the 30-40 Doctor appointments have gained me nothing. I began using a liquid iron supplement a month ago--this one is surprisingly tasty & I mix it in a bit of fruit juice & sip slowly for an hour or so. My SKIN is clearing up: no rashes recently & the layers of flaking skin that was falling off daily has all but stopped. Anxious to get back blood tests taken 2 weeks ago by new neurologist to see if the iron has improved. And, finally, yes, muscles CAN atrophy within 1 week's time as mine did! I was very strong working outside on our farm & in the garden every day inspite of all my RA crippling but with the onset of MG symptoms, I watched my calf muscles shrink by at least a third in 1 week's time! My thigh muscles, hip, etc have been reduced in half over the summer but the neurology testing showed little or no muscle damage! Amazing.

And Annie, sorry I hadn't responded to your kind posting earlier. Exhausted for 2 days after I went outside & tried to pick up jillions of tiny sticks left by 2 days of high winds in our yard (with 70 trees in it!) But, before I did that? Guess what? I had my husband drive me in to "town" & I DID buy a very nice wig! Long but not waist length like I was until June. Dark brown like I was until recently, too. Now, at least, I won't be embarrassed to go out of the house! Thanks again! ponywoman/Marsha
Ponywoman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
pingpongman (11-15-2015)