View Single Post
Old 11-16-2015, 01:46 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi armstri,

You obviously have a sinus tear or perforation. Whether or not it needs intervention is really up to the oral surgeon. Yes, based on your description it sounds like he was a bit "off" with the rx, etc... perhaps he was rushed? I'm not excusing his demeanor or rx mistake.... it would upset me as it has you.

Sinus tears or perforations often heal on their own unless they are very large and/or there is something preventing them from closing. The healing time varies per individual case.

Smoking, drinking alcohol, poor oral hygiene, poor health, sinus infections/inflammation.... these are all issues that can prevent the perf from closing and/or prolong the healing.

If by Thursday the leaking of water out of your nose has not subsided greatly or it gets worse, then either go back in to see the oral surgeon or seek an evaluation from a different oral surgeon. A periapical xray can sometimes help determine the location and size of the perforation so it may be wise to have one done if the problem does not resolve.

Not all oral surgeons, thank goodness, are that lax about their prescriptions .... I cannot come up with an excuse for him... :/

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by armstri View Post
Hi,

I had all four wisdom teeth out 8 days ago, and 3/4 came out with little issue. The upper right was close to the sinus, and I was told while I was in recovery that there is the possibility a small hole was created, but that they were pretty sure it was fine. I was told to not blow my nose, and that all would be fine.

Fast forward to Day 2, after my first rinse with salt water, I realized really quick that there was a hole, as water came out my right nostril. Based on what I had read, I decided that I would wait out the weekend and call the oral surgeon on the Monday. I got a hold of one of the nurses (Day 5), and was told that it would heal on its own, and not to worry. She said they would take a look when I came in to get my stitches out.

Day 8 (today) came, and I went in to get my stitches out. 3/4 sites healed up nicely, and the stitches were taken out by the nurse. I told her that the upper right site is extremely tender and puffy, and the 3 teeth (and gums) in front are inflamed and super sensitive to touch. In addition, I let her know that I still have an active hole as water and air still travel through it.

Doc comes in, sticks his mirror in my mouth for 15 seconds, says "looks good" and says it will be fine. I kind of gave him a look, and he said "I guess we can see you in 2 to 3 weeks to check on it again, gave me a prescription for more of the same antibiotics and sent me on my way.

Didn't notice until I got back to work, but the prescription is written out:
Clindamycin 300mg
Disp XV
sig 4 hr. prn pain

I might just be a chemist, but I can tell you that you don't dose antibiotics as needed for pain.

I have been wordy...
TL;DR Should the doc have done something for my sinus perf after 8 days? I am just worried it is going to get infected.

and are all oral surgeons this careless with their prescriptions? If anyone has any thoughts I would greatly appreciate it

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote