View Single Post
Old 11-16-2015, 10:22 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Thank you so much for the reply Bryanna!

It was the last appointment before lunch, so I guess he could have been rushed. I am trying to keep an open mind, but I tend to worry (maybe a bit too much at times) about my health.

I have been keeping up with the oral hygiene and saltwater rinses, and do not smoke or drink. I guess I am concerned about the inflammation/infection part. The teeth in front of the extraction site are very sensitive with inflamed gums, but I am doing my best to take ibuprofen in an effort to keep that at bay.

I called my dentist today, and she said that she doesn't want to even waste my time coming in, but she would definitely give me a referral to another oral surgeon if I was interested. I will see how it goes through the week and then make a decision.

Thank you so much!

Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi armstri,

You obviously have a sinus tear or perforation. Whether or not it needs intervention is really up to the oral surgeon. Yes, based on your description it sounds like he was a bit "off" with the rx, etc... perhaps he was rushed? I'm not excusing his demeanor or rx mistake.... it would upset me as it has you.

Sinus tears or perforations often heal on their own unless they are very large and/or there is something preventing them from closing. The healing time varies per individual case.

Smoking, drinking alcohol, poor oral hygiene, poor health, sinus infections/inflammation.... these are all issues that can prevent the perf from closing and/or prolong the healing.

If by Thursday the leaking of water out of your nose has not subsided greatly or it gets worse, then either go back in to see the oral surgeon or seek an evaluation from a different oral surgeon. A periapical xray can sometimes help determine the location and size of the perforation so it may be wise to have one done if the problem does not resolve.

Not all oral surgeons, thank goodness, are that lax about their prescriptions .... I cannot come up with an excuse for him... :/

Bryanna
armstri is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote