View Single Post
Old 11-16-2015, 11:07 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default Could Alan have Charcot?

Hi all. Because we never did find an actual cause for his neuropathy (and he is now in a humongous Crow Boot for his re-curring foot ulcer because he forgot to change orthotics after 4 months and his foot ulcer came back) so his doctor ordered him a Crow Boot and he has it for less than a week and it's causing rubbing and his leg looks like raw meat so I have pads and I covered his psoriasis with a light piece of tea shirt material so it will less the rubbing. He is going back to Hangar Clinic at 12 noon today so the guy who fitted him for this boot will look and see if it can be adjusted.

How the heck can they adjust a crow boot? It's custom molded. Anyone know?

Now for my next question. Long ago I once asked one of his podiatrist "Can Alan have Charcot"? I immediately heard a big NO, he doesn't fit the profile"

Well yesterday I looked up Charcot Marie Tooth and watch videos on youtube and learned all about it's cause, variants (VARIANTS??) and looked at Alan's stiff curled downward toes (he has hammer toes). Like a stiff board, those toes are. He can't uncurl them. I phoned his sister and she has this, (besides Morton's neuromas which she gets trigger point injections). I asked "did your mom have hammer toes". She said "OH yes"

So I ran this by Alan and said "Tomorrow, when you go to Hangar Clinic, ask the guy if you could possibly have Charcot Marie Tooth". He said "no problem". This morning I said to Alan "What are you going to ask the guy at Hangar?" He said "Oh, I'm going to ask him if I have Charlotte Boot Katoot". I never laughed so hard in my life.

I then wrote the guy a note which Alan will give to him. I cant' trust this guy to get any names right.

While he doesn't exactly fit the profile, Charcot gives you stiff toes (and sometimes hands, I know because I watched several videos), hammer toes, neuropathy, etc. (many of these symptoms Alan does have).

I know there is no cure, it's genetic, etc. But I like to learn stuff. And I will definitely run this by his podiatrist on Tuesday when I go with him.

The only actual test is a sural biopsy right? Don't know if Alan is up for that, because he has Prostate Cancer (unspecified stage as of yet). We have lots ahead of us and I don't want to cause any more grief. I guess I want an answer as to WHY this man got neuropathy.

All comments are welcome. Thanks much

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bluesfan (11-17-2015)