Thread: Compassion
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2015, 05:04 PM
Young Senior Elder Member

15 yr Member
Young Senior Elder Member

15 yr Member

In a person's life, the water in the cup is symbolic of all the hurt, pain, shame, humiliation, and loss not dealt with along the way. The last couple of drops symbolize the "trigger events, the last straw, the event or situation that preceded the final act of taking one's own life. Often we want to blame the trigger event, but this does not make sense to us. Like the water, these events all by themselves would not cause someone to end their life. It is the combination of everything in that person's life not dealt with and the last one or two things that caused our loved ones to lose hope.

For us, we must find a way to pour out the water along the way. This may be through talking it out, writing it out, sometimes yelling it out, whatever works for you. We must learn to deal with our pain in a way our loved ones could not.

This analogy does not give us the concrete answer many of us are looking for,, but I know it made sense for me and has been helpful for many survivors. It allowed me to let go of the search for "why", and to find a different way of dealing with my pain.

National Resource Center for
Suicide Prevention and Aftercare

Link Counseling Center

Alffe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
barbo (11-27-2015), DejaVu (11-16-2015), EnglishDave (11-16-2015), eva5667faliure (12-03-2015), Wren (11-17-2015)