View Single Post
Old 11-16-2015, 11:46 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Ian,

Okay so no tilting of the head = no water leaking out of the nose. That is good.

Water should not be leaking out of the extraction site and the air sensation should not be increasing. Were you or are you drinking through a straw? If so, definitely avoid using a straw, just drink from a cup. The suction of using the straw can keep the sinus open or at minimum delay the healing.

Regarding your oral care at home .... it is imperative to clean all of your teeth especially along the gum line to prevent the build up of plaque. It may help if you buy a child's size toothbrush as that may be easier to maneuver back there.

If you feel that the gum inflammation is not plaque related or that the sinus issue has gotten worse, then by all means see one of the surgeons.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by armstri View Post
That is comforting to hear. I think the last time I had water leaking from my nose was this past weekend. I think though that it may have been a change in my technique. I never was gargling, or swishing vigorously, just kind of shaking the water around lightly to hit all of the extraction sites. What I have changed is the tilting my head back. I no longer tilt my head back, and I don't end up with water coming out of my nose.

I do still witness water leaking from the extraction site though. It usually is a significant amount that I have run back into my mouth after spitting the first amount out. In addition, it seems as though the amount of air entering my mouth is increased. I have noticed it moreso now even just drinking from a normal glass.

It could be, I have been doing my best to brush those teeth as far back as I can, but the molar closest to the extraction site probably has been a little neglected since it isn't comfortable to brush. I will try and really make sure I clean them well from now on.

I am really considering either calling my oral surgeon and telling them that it is worse, or going for the second opinion. What would be a sound rationale for not taking some sort of action and giving it an extended period of time to heal by itself? Is there one that I wasn't informed of by the oral surgeon?

Im just afraid of getting an infection. I know there are bacteria in your nose/sinuses (staph etc.), that you really don't want in your mouth, and vice versa.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote