View Single Post
Old 11-17-2015, 06:15 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Hi all. Today we went to the Podiatrist. I said "I want to run something by you" and I went into my carefully worded story about why I think Alan MIGHT have a variant of CMT. He looked at me and said 'You don't want him to have Charcot Foot'. I said "I'm not talking about Charcot Foot", I'm talking about Charcot Marie Tooth and it's many variants and he listened and he said "You need to go to a rheumatologist who will make a determination". I said "we went to one YEARS ago" and he ran all sorts of allergy tests and he never mentioned CMT but then again, Alan did not have the stiff toes that he now has and we had no clue about his sister and his mother"

So we talked some more and now Alan is actually looking up stuff. I just found out something extremely interesting. I was on a website that stated all the different kinds of CMT the numbering CMT1, CMT2. etc. etc.

And guess what else CMT does? It causes deafness. Alan is profoundly hard of hearing and uses TV ears to watch TV.

What does that tell you? I do think I'm on to something.

But he has so much else going on (he needs to get a prostate biopsy) and we will probably talk to his doctor about running some genetic testing.I don't think his insurance will pay for this but I have to ask anyway.

Will update. And I will go and look up Charcot Marie Tooth on these forums.

Thanks to all

And thank god this man has me. That's all I have to say. (and I don't care how stuffy I sound), it's the truth. I'm the one who asks all the necessary questions and takes care of him. I only wish I had known about the genetic link earlier in his life. He's had this for about 25 years or so.

Oh, and his neuropathy was SO bad while he was sitting in the podiatrist's chair I asked if he could get some trigger point injections. And he got them. Oh well!!!

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bluesfan (11-17-2015), DejaVu (11-17-2015)