View Single Post
Old 11-18-2015, 08:37 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Kendyll,

My apologies. I had misunderstood, somehow.

Yes, it sounds like your husband experiences "dissociative identity disorder."
It's quite an accomplishment to have this degree of cooperation with different ego states. Congratulations to you on conducting yourself in a manner where there is such a high degree of trust.

Yes, you are a team.

If your husband goes into crisis on a regular basis, I'd suggest he utilize a daily self-care plan. Since his crises seem to happen when he is not taking the best care of himself, it's wise for him to be sure he is taking good care everyday. There are self-care daily sheets, which list tasks which must be achieved daily. Some people use these sheets, check off the tasks, and additionally note mood changes, stress levels, hours of sleep and other information, which tips themselves, and loved ones, off when at the very beginning of showing behaviors which precede crises. There are also lots of different types of mood charts available online, which can be modified to gather the daily information you both may find helpful for intervening early.

It's critical to identify any/all "triggers."

These types of self-management skills are often taught in CBT programs, as well. Many of these programs are taught intensively as outpatient day programs (over 3-4 weeks).

Does your husband work with a therapist and/or psychiatrist?
If his PTSD is set off often, it may be helpful to have this more fully evaluated, obtaining an opinion on treatment methods which may be helpful. There is a lot of news in the area of PTSD treatment. Much has changed, or is changing.
Peter Levine, Bessel van der Kolk, Pat Ogden are just a few on the cutting edge and I think each have written fairly new books, outlining the latest theories for effective treatments in PTSD. These approaches are mind-body types of approaches and have shown great promise in many different populations with PTSD.

A psychiatrist may be able to suggest a medication which may prove helpful, especially if/when your husband is feeling overwhelmed and/or triggered by stress. Sometimes, a short-term medication may help him to remain compensated, or recompensate more quickly.

You might also contact your local NAMI group to see what they have to offer for additional options.

Again, my sincere apologies for the mistake. I must have been very tired when I was trying to respond.

I hope this helps. Please continue to ask questions, as there are many members here with differing experiences and opinions.

Warmly,
DejaVu

DejaVu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kendyll (11-19-2015)