View Single Post
Old 11-19-2015, 02:49 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Kendyll,

I did a quick search simply using the terms "daily self-care list" and came up with pages of lists and charts for daily activities, including yet not limited to daily stress levels, daily exercise, daily eating patterns, daily goal-setting -- both fun and chores/tasks, nightly sleep patterns, etc.

Many of these types of charts can be modified to track anything we find helpful.

A part of the purpose of the use of these types of tools is to help to keep focus and to stay grounded, re-directing attention and completing tasks which also creates some distraction from the emotions/stressors which may contribute to a crisis.

Just an example, one site of many:
http://www.depressiontoolkit.org/toolsandchecklists

Don't let the name throw you off, there are many tools/checklists which can be helpful with more than depression.

As for PTSD, when it's triggered, it can definitely set off fragmentation and chaotic switching between ego states. It's best to catch this and try to defuse this as early as possible.

It's always wise to have crisis plans in place.
Some areas have crisis centers, with respite "homes" or centers, where people can go and stay while in crisis, until things settle down and are stabilized. These types of programs are staffed 24/7 by people trained in crisis management. Often, family can visit and join in the activities of the center, as long as this is helpful to the person in crisis.

I do understand why hospitalization may not be your first choice.
I know, in my region, it is rare the hospital units have a bed for any crisis. A totally different organization has crisis beds and "respite" beds (which are meant to stabilize the person in crisis, as well as to give the family/caretaker a "respite" in the meantime).

More and more programs also have some form of "peer coaching" available. There are various types of programs set up with peer coaching. Some are over the phone, some visit the home and/or do social activities together, etc. The goal is to assist the person in identifying triggers and learning ways to remain grounded, without repeatedly going into crisis.

I truly admire your dedication to trying to find helpful approaches. I can sense your love for, dedication to, your husband and the welfare of everyone in your family. I hope you can find truly helpful information/assistance in your community.

Again, my humblest apologies for my initial error.

Warmly,
DejaVu

DejaVu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote