View Single Post
Old 11-19-2015, 03:48 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart Onward and Upward!

Hi Sam!

I am glad your birthday went well.

Have you ever told your friends you feel left out and wonder if your perception is an accurate one? Others may or may not realize we feel isolated or left out, so it can be helpful to approach this by asking about their own perceptions. This may open the door to some helpful interactions and feedback.

We had a friend of our family experience a severe stroke at a young age. He is in his 30's. He has been in a rehab center for 9 months. We have been in touch some. (He is 500 miles away from us.) However, one evening, he had called and was very gentle in letting us know he feels very isolated, he is surrounded by elderly people within the rehab setting. He says everyone else goes to bed at 7 pm, they don't listen to music, etc. He shared quite a bit about what life is like for him right now. He told us how much it means to him to hear from people closer to his age. (I am older than my 30's, yet I'd felt like I was given a gift, better understanding his perspective. This helped me to understand his needs.) It was all in his approach. I would have listened if he had called in an angry state, however, he had spoken calmly from his heart, explaining what this is like for him -- and everyone has benefitted from his approach.

When some people are experiencing depersonalization, it can be helpful to have more interactions, as the interactions are often more grounding than not.

Have you heard of "grounding exercises or techniques?"

There are many types of grounding techniques/exercises.
An internet search will show so very many.

We are all walking along beside you, Sam, cheering you onward and upward!

You have been exceptionally patient. You are so very mature in many ways.

I remain very hopeful you will find answers and relief.

DejaVu

DejaVu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (11-20-2015), barbo (11-21-2015), bizi (11-19-2015), EnglishDave (11-19-2015), Littlepaw (11-19-2015), Rain shower (11-19-2015), SamG11 (11-19-2015), Wren (11-19-2015)