View Single Post
Old 11-19-2015, 10:11 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Single Fiber EMG. I'm I out the woods?

I don't even know what a single fiber EMG is, but away. I've been having some difficulty swallowing, speaking, and breathing. I went to a neurologist at Vanderbilt University on Monday. She preformed some basic strength and reflex test, all which came back normal, before starting the EMG testing. She only did my Neck region (Extremely painful), because she said that where my symptoms are. The test lasted about an hour, then I was told to wait in the waiting room. After about 20 minutes, she called me back, and told me it was clean, and that I didn't have Myasthenia Gravis. MG? I was there thinking ALS, and she wasn't apparently. She apologized for not being able to diagnose me, and I went on my way. Anyway, I have a few question about this.*

1. Does a Clean EMG for MG, also mean a clean EMG for ALS, or is that looking at different things on the EMG?*

2. Does being tested in the neck cover Bulbar ALS onset, or do I need to get other areas in that region tested (e.g., Tongue, under the chin..etc)*

In addition too the above mentioned problems, I am also experiencing joint pain everywhere, and, of course, twitching. Is this something to take into account?*

Thanks for your time.
12Tribes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote