View Single Post
Old 06-29-2007, 01:20 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb FDA labeling laws...

require certain things. Unless a drug/product has been TESTED in pregnant women, one cannot make claims it is safe. These studies are mucho expensive and most companies do not do them. Who wants to experiment on pregnant women? Not many. So the disclaimer is always given. I agree it is poorly worded,however.

I personally think the ILEX is absorbed. You can drink this herb, it is called yerba mate, and is very very popular. I have some in fact. It contains vitamins/minerals and amino acids along with antioxidants. It is not listed as an active ingredient on the label, because it too, was not tested in a study.

However, the gel, is very nice and gels of this type do carry drugs ...as vehicles. I would expect some of the ingredients of Biofreeze to be absorbed to some extent.

The Ben Gay product had methyl salicylate in it, which is like aspirin.
That is a drug, and different from the Biofreeze. Camphor and menthol are used orally in cough drops, and hence typically to do not pose issues.
The poor girl who died had to have had a problem (possibly renal) and also overused the product over large areas of the body. If she applied heat, it would have increased absorption. It is a rare thing, but it happens. Just like the young model who overused Primatine mist for asthma, and suddenly died.
Occasionally an OTC product is misused or reacts idiopathically with someone's metabolism. These events usually cannot be predicted.

There was just someone in the news who ATE denture adhesive and got sick.
Ate it and sued... liked the taste! All kinds of weird things happen with products!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote