View Single Post
Old 11-21-2015, 11:16 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Judy,

I know several people who have had gastric surgery. Most regained the weight after an initial impressive loss.

You generally have to lose a designated amount of weight before being approved for the surgery to prove that you have the self control to change your ways. The surgery is more of a jump start to weight loss, rather than a life-long solution. There are different kinds of surgery and each has it's own advantages/disadvantages.

My cousin had a bypass and has had diarrhea ever since. I don't imagine that happens to everyone. She also has to have B12 shots every month. She lost over 100 lbs at first but put most of it back on over the years. My brother's former MIL had some kind of gastric surgery and lost a lot of weight but she hasn't looked well ever since. Pale, lack of energy and put about half of the weight back on.

Instead of doing something as drastic as surgery, could you talk to a therapist and find out why you're having such trouble losing weight? I've had some success with making "rules" for problem foods. ie, never more than 2 pieces of pizza or 2 tacos. I don't keep junk food in the house. If I want it, I have to go out and buy it.

I'm sure there are success stories with the gastric surgeries, but I think there is also a lot of disappointment if you don't address the underlying reasons for overeating. A neighbour of mine had the lapband surgery. She found out that things like potato chips and cheezies went down pretty easily. She had trouble eating salads and some meats for a long time after the surgery. I haven't seen her for years, but she did very well for quite a while afterwards in spite of some bumps along the way.

I know it's frustrating as I've battled with my weight since I was a teenager. I've managed not to gain as I get older and weigh less than I did 15 years ago, but it's a constant battle.

I wish you success in whatever you decide. Keep us posted.

Carol
CarolM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (11-21-2015), kiwi33 (11-22-2015), NurseNancy (11-25-2015)