View Single Post
Old 11-22-2015, 12:20 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Antidepressants and neuropathy

Yes, yes yes -- I am going to start a very pointed thread on this. I think antidepressants are neurotoxic for me. I also know statins and antibiotics are known neurotoxins for some people.

To briefly summarize my story -- I had severe Parkinsonism last year because of an over-the-top antidepressant cocktail. Had MRI's, the whole bit -- no one suspected the drugs. I then developed allergic reactions and lethal levels of high blood pressure. I was told to go off cold-turkey (my throat was swelling with each dose). Then had abrupt withdrawal syndrome and almost died.

Recovered from that over the course of several months. Parkinsonism disappeared. Depression was also gone! Yet it took months to get my blood pressure down, and I was virtually bed-ridden. I began to recover in February -- worked at home and went to the gym.

Then suddenly last April I was hit with the most profound depression of my life along with a slew of dysautonomic symptoms. Severe GERD, neuropathies in my hands and feet, hair loss, dry skin and eyes, insomnia, heart palpitations -- 23 symptoms in all. I had a negative EMG two months ago and two positive skin biopsies for small fiber neuropathy. Worst symptom by far now is fatigue -- I understand why you are writing for your wife. I could not work at all, and basically spent my time in bed trying to fight the depression. I went into therapy and did not take any medications. I have a great psychiatrist who is also a neurologist, as well as a psychologist.

Yet, my depression was the worst in my life, so I gradually went on 15 mg. of mirtazipine, and more recently 10 mg. of nortripyline (just doubled it this week).

Depression is lifting and I am far less anxious. Yet neuropathic pain and similar symptoms are now far worse. They increase each day! Docs feel this cannot be happening, for these meds are used for neuropathic pain, and there is virtually nothing in the literature about this. On the other hand, my digestion is better, and my skin seems a bit smoother. Insomnia is worse though.

I don't know what to do at this point. There are some antidepressants that are anticonvulsants -- lictamil (sp) is one.

I am pursuing this -- looking for literature. I noted that all of these meds do list neuropathy as a potential side effect -- just very rare I guess. This site might be a way to find out how rare.

I am sorry this is happening to your wife, yet perhaps our stories will help others, and perhaps people might comment on coping with depression as well as dsyautonomia.

I wish you the best -- Sylvie
SylvieM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Sredna (11-22-2015)