View Single Post
Old 11-22-2015, 12:44 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

I've never had a LP but I'm concerned about your tinnitus and hearing problems. That is not typical and needs to be addressed immediately.

Here is a case study:

http://bja.oxfordjournals.org/content/91/5/762.full

A pubmed abstract:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9033682

In the case study, they proposed that CSF loss decreased the intracranial pressure, which created a pressure imbalance and traction on the cranial nerves (abducens, facial, and vestibulocochlear nerves). The onset of her tinnitus lagged 2 days behind the patient's headache.

In the pubmed abstract it reports 2 cases of LP with 2 patients. One had tinnitus and the other had hearing loss as a result.

In both of these papers, the epidural blood patch was an effective treatment for both headache and auditory symptoms.

If you haven't already, get in contact with the physician and tell him what is going on. I don't know all the back story about your LP and symptom onset, but if I were in your shoes, I would seek out treatment immediately to prevent further vestibular nerve damage. If your doctor is dismissive of your symptoms, print out the two articles I posted here and bring them into your appointment. I will try to find a few more articles.

And I know how terrible these symptoms can be. At the onset of my PN, I had months of tinnitus and even lost normal hearing for 2 days. I'm so sorry you are dealing with this.
madisongrrl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Blairzo (11-22-2015), mrsD (11-22-2015), northerngal (11-22-2015)