View Single Post
Old 11-22-2015, 11:32 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Thank you for your reply, Rose8. I also thought initially that the eye problem might be causing the pain in front of my ear, because I read that eye infections can cause swelling in the lymph glands near the ear. However, my GP said those lymph glands were not swollen on me. She also said that if infection had spread that far there would be visible facial swelling and a higher fever. Since then, I have realized that the pain has a lot of the characteristics of nerve pain. I have suffered from sciatica nerve pain and from ulnar nerve pain in the past, due to separate injuries, so I know how that can feel and how it can seem that the pain is coming from one place when the source is really an entirely different place. There is definitely a connection between my constant lowgrade fever and this pain as they started at the same time and one always gets worse or better when the other does. My research indicates that a constant lowgrade fever usually indicates a bacterial infection somewhere in the body. If there is an infection in my tooth, that would explain why the fever and pain have gotten better both times that I went on antibiotics. The antibiotic gets the infection under control but cannot eradicate it until the tooth is properly cleaned out or removed. So as soon as I go off the antibiotic (or lower the dose too far) the infection symptoms return.

As I have searched online for answers, I have seen more than one endodontist's website where they give info to their rootcanal patients saying that if you are running a temp of 99.5 or higher after your root canal, you probably have an infection in the tooth and should contact their office about it. Having seen that, I am puzzled why, when I called my endodontist's office a week after my root canal and told them I was registering a temp that high all the time, they told me, " That can't be from your root canal. That is not a symptom we see in patients after root canal." Other endodontists don't seem to agree?

The pain seems to be settling more and more into my jaw and the area of the crowned tooth, and it us more constant now in that area. I fear it will soon be an all-out toothache if this continues. Then maybe the endodontist will take it seriously! Unfortunately, I live in a small enough town, that I don't have a choice of endodontists unless I drive an hour or more.
VMarieM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote