View Single Post
Old 11-23-2015, 01:42 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleFoot721 View Post
I can't really say I have any recipes to share right now. I like to eat healthy, although since January, I have not been able to cook much at all. I am a rather good cook and that is one of the things that I really miss being able to do every day. I love being able to use my creativity to make different meals without having any written recipe, just create them based on what we have in the fridge that day. It is one of those things that many of my friends say I really shine at doing and expressing my creativity.

I by no means eat a really healthy diet, but I do try to eat at least somewhat healthy. I only use olive oil when oil is needed and always have more veggies on the plate than starches, grains, or meats. Changing to a healthier diet helped my dad a lot years ago when he was misdiagnosed with MS. He was misdiagnosed with MS back in the early 90's after loosing his vision and motor control of his arms while driving to work. It turned out to be an unusual case of arthritis where the inflammation caused pressure on his ocular nerve and some other nerves at the base of his neck. Eating a healthy diet of lots of fruits and veggies, limited grains, very limited fats, and no red meat has helped him immensely. Now that we are in our new house, maybe it's time I start watching some of the things that are known to cause inflammation.

Megsmountain, your recipe that you shared sounds very yummy! I love sauted spinach with garlic, (I like to add some pine nuts sometimes as well, but that falls into the grains and nuts which many of us are trying to avoid), and fresh salmon and trout, especially wild caught. I was just curious though, is consuming that much spinach, which contains high levels of oxalic acid, actually healthy? I know that a certain level of oxalates are healthy, but is eating many pounds a week still ok?

I see a lot of people on here avoiding grains and nuts. Isn't it the gluten that causes the inflammation? Can gluten free grains still be ok to keep in our diet?

I think this a wonderful thread you started. Thank you for starting it! I will have to start paying attention to what I cook up. I would love to share some of my own creations as well, with everyone here.
My computer is fried, so sorry if this response comes back strange. I need to look into the oxalate subject again. Purplefoot, I know I've researched in the past. I cook the spinach, which from memory cuts down on the oxalates? Again, may be off here, I'll do some research. I do know that eating tons of cooked greens like spinach and kale with TONS of garlic helps me tremendously. My hubby calls me Popeye sometimes I remember also cutting out foods high in salicytes (in almost everything including spices! I've also quit eating night shades and have not noticed a difference in inflammation when I've re introduced them to my diet. I love bell and hot peppers and all sorts of tomatoes. I'm happy to hear your father has gotten better with a different diet
I was doing a vegetarian paleo for quite a while with just wild Alaskan salmon. It proved to be severely limiting and so I've slowly added some grains, legumes, etc back in. I think nuts are very healing (if they are just natural, not covered in salt and oil, etc) as the magnesium levels are so high, magnesium really helps me at least with sleep and other issues. I also absolutely love black and kidney beans especially, black bean chili is the best, so added some legumes back into my diet. I have also introduced some gf pastas, etc as I just wanted to eat pasta again, but just keep out the wheat.
Tonight, I made a rice pasta (doesn't get soggy like most gf) with sautéed garlic, red pepper flakes and chopped walnuts in evoo, then add fresh somewhat chopped spinach, after it's wilted down you add 4 oz of feta or goat cheese and about 1/4-1/2 milk to the mix and add in the cooked spaghetti, it's fantastic, oh and add as much grated Romano cheese as you prefer to give it the extra kick I'm sure you can see the common theme, tons of garlic and spinach! Everyone has their specific foods that make them feel better
megsmountain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BioBased (11-23-2015), DejaVu (11-28-2015), PurpleFoot721 (11-23-2015)