View Single Post
Old 11-23-2015, 06:07 PM
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Smile Marianz

Hi there, Sorry you are having to go through this. I too have just been diagnosed with an unruptured aneurysm which was a double whammy shock for me. I have 2 small meningiomas (diagnosed 18 months ago and on watch and wait) so theres a lot going on in my head! I recently went for my annual MRI and while my tumours are stable no growth which is great news I was called back in for a further scan just after I had got home.

They discovered a small aneurysm at the base of my brain - its called a PICA aneurysm. Like you mine is between 5-6mm. I have seen my neuro surgeon and what he has told me is that I am on the cusp of treating or not treating osition) (because of its posterior position) but that it is a weigh up of the risks of it rupturing - around .05% to a risk of a problem during the procedure which is around 1%. Because of where mine is treatment would be a coil which they access through the groin (endovascular I think it is called) in other areas I believe they can clip them but mine is in a really difficult place to access.

The problem I could have is when they put the coil in it could block the artery and cause stroke the risk is 1%. Because I don't and have never smoked, no significant family history of aneurysms he has suggested we monitor it. If there is any growth then he would want to treat it. Apparently it was there a year ago. When the radiologist looked back on my previous scan he found it and it doesn't appear to have changed from then and appears stable so that is encouraging.

I know exactly how you feel though worrying about what I can and can't do and if there is anything I can do to prevent it rupturing. My NS said that 3% of the population have aneurysms and many don't know it - it is really now with MRI's that a lot of these are being found incidentally. Be strong - your surgeon will advise you and if you don't feel comfortable with him get a 2nd or 3rd opinion. Happy to chat through this forum as we go through the journey. Take care and try not to stress - that is what I am doing.
Marianz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Darlene (11-25-2015), Lara (11-24-2015)