View Single Post
Old 11-24-2015, 12:50 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi AppleTree,

I read your other posts to see what they were about before I replied to your inquiry on this forum. I can address your dental concerns and the information I offer you about your teeth may or may not be correlated with your throat issues.

Firstly, I understand from your other posts that you are trying to take care of yourself as you are mindful of your diet etc. One thing that stood out to me was your deliberate habit of limiting your salt intake. Is there a reason you are doing this? Not all salt is bad for us. In fact salt is an essential nutrient that all people need to have enough of every single day for many bodily functions. It's important to eat unrefined healthy salt and avoid chemically processed table salt or sodium chloride. Here is an article written by Dr Mercola on salt... very informative.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...y-doctors.aspx

Regarding your dental problem.... I understand that you have a fear of being in the dental chair. Most people have some degree of dental phobia but for some, it can be quite debilitating. It's important to know that there are dentists that cater to people with this intense fear and they truly go out of their way to make the visit less stressful. There are also hypnotherapists that do specific therapy for dental phobia which can be very helpful. I would suggest that you do some research about the hypnotherapy and also for one of these dentists and have someone go with you for the consultation. In the long run it's always easier to go to the dentist before a dental problem becomes too severe. Please understand I am not dismissing or making light of your fear.... I believe it is very real and can be very consuming. But I also know that with help, you can overcome that intense fear enough to get to the dentist for the consultation.

The lack of intense pain with your tooth is not a good indication of the severity of the problem. Most dental problems have little to no symptoms or pain until they have progressed. The tooth symptoms that you have described here commonly indicates what is referred to as a perio/endo infection. This is when the bacteria from inside the root canaled tooth has moved beyond the tooth and to some degree into the interproximal area between the teeth. The bacteria causes inflammation in the bone that is shared by these two teeth which then causes the gum tissue to become unhealthy as well. The odor and taste is the bacteria from the tooth as it's draining from in between the teeth. The drainage may be clear and seem like saliva. The toothache that you had during the night is from the infection building up inside of the tooth. Once the bacteria released itself, the pain subsided. Unfortunately, this infection is not something that you can subside yourself as it is the root canaled tooth that is causing the infection. The only means of eradicating the infection is to remove the source, which is the tooth. Anything other than that, any dental procedure other than that will not have any positive long term affects on this infection.

Here's where there may be a correlation between this dental infection and your other physical symptoms. The bacteria from a tooth infection filters through the blood stream via the blood vessels in the mouth to other areas of the body. This type of infection, as I have described to you, is draining into your mouth, down your throat, into your stomach, etc. So it is not unlikely for a tooth infection to cause or contribute to systemic health problems which often go un-diagnosed or misdiagnosed by medical doctors.

I know this information is making your anxiety hit the roof. I'm very sorry to do that to you .... but you're searching for help and I think it's important for you to know this information. I seriously want to reassure you that there is help for you. I hope you will consider seeking a dentist that caters to people with severe dental fear.

The people who participate here really care about you. Always feel free to express your concerns with us.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleTree View Post
Hi, I've noticed for some time a rather unpleasant order between #30 and 31 when flossing. Both teeth have crowns and one has a root canal. The other night I woke at 1:AM with a toothache in that area. By morning it was gone and hasn't bothered me since. But what I did discover at 1AM as I was trying to figure out what was wrong and which tooth was bothering me was that this odor was/is quite strong and noticiable, particularly if I touch the area. I bought little tiny brushes to get in between the teeth and have been cleaning the area several times a day yet the odor persists. This is embarrassing to say the least. I know I need to say the dentist but 1) I am extremely dental phobic and 2) I have had some alarming neurological symptoms of late which makes sitting in a dental chair near impossible for me.

I have smelled a similar odor on others breath at times and am mortified to think that is what mine smells like. I am imaging the worst, that is horrible bone infection that is spreading throughout my body or a tumor under the tooth. My mind does run to worst case scenario so I'm nothing in reality neither of these are the case.

I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with what could be causing this oder and what needs to be done to fix it; what will the dentist most likely recommend? My pain and discomfort level is minimal, just a slight tenderness of the gum near the gum line, no tooth pain, no redness, no oozing.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote