View Single Post
Old 11-24-2015, 08:47 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHC View Post
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and very happy to see it exists.

Recently I tested with low blood glucose after a 2 hour tolerance test, basically in the range for postprandial hypoglycemia, even though I had a normal fasting glucose before the test. I have been taking Benfotiamine for 4 months because of peripheral neuropathy (now we know it's small fiber PN), likely from something autoimmune. I am wondering if it's possible that the Benfotiamine is having an adverse affect on me, in particular making me hypoglycemic, say like Alpha Lipoic Acid is known to do. It was the first supplement I took and I guess I haven't reassessed things since. I'm having difficulty finding anything on this issue online.

Thanks,
Dave
Benfotiamine is extremely beneficial in glucose metabolism. There definitely may be a link if you take it regularly. It does help with SFN pain for sure. Did you take Benfotiamine the morning of the OGTT?

My personal experience is that Benfotiamine is very good at reducing blood sugar levels. My personal fasting levels reduced by about 10 points on a dose of 500 mg a day. For me its been a win/win, I have never been below 70 even at my lowest reading. Usually i average in the low 80s.

Do you have any idea of your levels before you started taking the benfotiamine? A1C, fasting or OGTT? Personally i wouldn't stress over anything unless I had a really low A1C level. Because that shows what your blood sugar level is as an average over 3 months. If you have been taking Benfotiamine for that time it would be a really good gauge. If you had a normal fasting it seems like this is really not a cause for concern. My doctors have done all 3 blood sugar tests several times. What the told me was that they need to see a trend across all the tests to make any serious diagnosis.

You could always do blood glucose monitoring at home as well. Can get a kit pretty cheaply on Amazon. Its a good way to see what may be a trigger on your own without dealing with doctors visits and lab workups.

• R-Lipoic Acid: 100mg - 300mg Daily
• Acetyl-L Carnitine: 1500mg Daily
• Vitamin B12: 1000 mcg Daily
• Magnesium 500mg Daily
• Grape Seed Extract 200mg Daily
• Benfotiamine 300mg daily

Patrick Winter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
madisongrrl (11-24-2015), zkrp01 (11-24-2015)