View Single Post
Old 11-24-2015, 03:57 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Thanks for writing. Thank you also for the supplements thread, which I've now read through. There's a lot of helpful information there.

Right, well, hypoglycemia CAN lead to diabetes and signal prediabetes, but need not do so and can be caused by a number of other unrelated conditions. So the etiology is not well known, certainly not 100%, which is why some go on to develop diabetes and some don't. There is clearly partial correlation, but certainly not any causation, let alone partial causation. Of course, it's something to bear in mind. But it's relevant that my fasting glucose has tested normal each time. And I did have a normal A1C too, though perhaps that was before the Benfo. But as you say, who knows what the normal parameters of such testing is at this point.

I just don't know about Benfo. You may be right and I'm willing to cut it out entirely or reduce it to where you say. I'm also willing to raise it up to 1200. There are studies all over the place and the push seems to be for higher doses in more recent studies. At least it seems to be the case, no? What's the bases for you low dosing? I'm sure you have a good one. I'll be honest, I'm quite confused about whether it's working for me and how much I should take. I'm considering cutting it out and then seeing what happens too. Perhaps starting with B12 and D as you say in the supplements' thread. (I do recall getting a B12 test early on and hearing it's normal, but again, as you say, 'normal' may actually be low and doesn't mean much - I can try to get the number of that old test, I guess.) I mean, if the Benfo is not doing anything, with all the supplements on my list and future ones, perhaps I shouldn't spend the money. I should say I did start with 80, the went to 150, then 300, the 600. During this time I continued to improve, but again I took a number of other things and the diet was the biggest factor.

My thoughts were like yours here: I don't think I'm having any symptoms of hypo. In fact, in recent medical literature the move is toward diagnosing postprandial hypo only if there are concomitant symptoms. I do shake and sweat, but often after meals and closer to nighttime, which has been the case since my PN started months ago. So I think it's connected with my PN not eating or glucose - stress or anxiety can bring it on and most often it arises after meals too and as I'm going to bed, being the worst when I lie down. Earlier today, just a couple of hours ago, before eating lunch, and a few hours after breakfast, I recorder it at 84 and I was shaking.

Anyway, I do worry that there is a deeper cause, say something to do with my liver (a know cause in some cases, and I used to drink a lot) or the autoimmune condition I may have causing my PN. It's all a bit overwhelming and difficult to isolate right now, which is all the more reason why I appreciate your input. Perhaps I'll lower the Benfo and see if there's any change. This morning I added some Blue Ice cod liver oil, starting very low at 1.5 ml - I always start off very slowly.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge. Now to go and read your posts on B12 and D. So much to absorb and synthesize!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Reactive hypoglycemia, is a prelude to developing diabetes.
Some move on to diabetes, and others don't depending on their own genetics.

I really don't think you need 600mg of benfotiamine a day.
Once those enzymes get saturated with thiamine, then you can coast on a lower dose. 300mg or 150mg a day should be enough for most people. 150 mg is all I take myself.

If you don't FEEL the hypoglycemia, then it may not be an issue at all for you. But if you feel shakey and sweaty before meals then do lower it a bit.

Insulin resistance is the cause of the reactive hypoglycemia. It means you have too much insulin being secreted after a meal.
Fixing your diet as you have, should be doing good things for you.

The A1C is a measure of a type of hemoglobin in the blood, that has a glucose attached to it. It is a 3 month average of your blood glucose level. People with high spikes after eating will show that in the A1C. But lows typically are not predictable or illustrated with it. The A1C changes with race and age... so it is not comparable 100% to everyone equally. It is rather new, and as such is undergoing scrutiny for accuracy in the elderly or those of African or Hispanic descent.
DavidHC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
madisongrrl (11-26-2015), Patrick Winter (11-24-2015)