View Single Post
Old 06-29-2007, 08:42 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Post I remember you from the old forum . . .

I am very concerned about your starting dose of lamtroigine, brand name is Lamictal. It is much too high. Lamictal is known to cause a rash, which in some cases can be extremely serious or even fatal. The incidence of serious rash is much less than just getting a rash, however, it is known that the rash is more probable when a higher initial dose is used. It is also most likely to occur within the first 6 months, although it can occur later. Signs of a more serious adverse reaction include high fever, swollen glands, hives, and painful swelling in the mouth, face, or lips.

I do not want to scare you but you should have been informed of the possibility of this rash and advised to contact your doctor IMMEDIATELY at the first indication. I actually took Lamictal a number of years ago - it was the only non-opioid medication that was effective to some degree without problematic side effects. As it turned out, that initial effectiveness did not last, and I discontinued it.

I think the reaction of most folks upon hearing about this rash is to never want to take this drug. I do understand that, however, I felt that the probability of getting it, given the proper medication routine was non-existent. To the best of my knowledge, there is no case documentation for an adult contracting the rash when on the proper schedule.

In any event, you certainly need to be in the know about all of this. Here are a few links to get you started:

RxList

Encyclopedia of Medicine

I would encourage you to talk to your doctor about this. Frankly, if it were me, I would not agree to take Lamcital as it currently is being prescribed for you.

rafi
rfinney is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote