Thread: B12 and Folate
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2015, 09:02 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHC View Post
I looked into the genetic testing, but I'm not too keen on a for profit company having so much genetic info on me. And also, I wrote them and responded accordingly:

"Thank you for contacting the 23andMe Team. While our platform does include a small number of SNPs on the MTHFR gene, 23andMe does not report on all variants on this gene nor do we provide an interpretation of these SNPs. This information would be available only in the raw genotype data...If receiving information about MTHFR is your primary goal, we cannot recommend that you participate in 23andMe."

Plus, I'm not sure I want to know everything they can find out about me! But it does sound very cool and got me excited initially at least. A part of me does want to know.
David:
For info - 23andme originally gave out full genetic reports, then they were prohibited from doing so by the government. Now, in the past month or so they were allowed to provide genetic reports again, but they only provide information on a handful of conditions which do not include MTHFR.

However, there are several companies that will take the "raw data" from 23andme, and run a very detailed analysis. (I used promethease) There are also some others that will do a specific analysis on your potential methylation issues and MTHFR. Note that 23andme/promethease has several genetic markers (such as the "alzheimers gene") that they will not provide reports on unless you specifically "opt in".

I understand your concerns over privacy, and not wanting to know "too much". I had the same concerns, but decided that knowing my MTHFR status was more important than my privacy concerns. Based on the testing, I found that I have the C677T mutation as well as several other methylation related mutations. As a result, I've been able to tailor my supplement regime to deal with those issues. My SFN symptoms haven't gone away, but they haven't really progressed since improving my supplements. And, I definitely "feel better" overall.
Ragtop262 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Patrick Winter (11-30-2015)