View Single Post
Old 12-02-2015, 03:49 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

I'm back to whine.

I know I'm negative and tiresome but I'm just sitting her sighing and I don't know if I can DO something or not. I'm one of those fixer personalities and I get all whiny when things seem unfixable, I don't know what to do with my own emotions then.

My friend, the possible statin victim, his foot got worse and worse. It turned more and more and at the end when he had to get up and walk shorter stretches, he actually walked on the top of his foot instead of the bottom.

The doctors didn't run any tests far as I am aware. They just said that is foot drop, that just happens, you get a splint to wear day and night. So they prescribed that. Him being heavy put a lot of weight on it so it basically ate into his flesh. He had it looked after but they just wrapped it back up and put the splint back.

Now the wound started infecting his whole foot, I think it is part the brace and part that his nerves are so damaged he cannot feel when he hurts it. So basically the nurses who cared for his foot said enough is enough! They didn't have the ability to diagnose but the doctor didn't want to help explain why this happened in the first place.

Anyway the nurses just said this time that we cannot help you anymore. You cannot come back here because this is getting worse not better. We suggest the local hospital to take the foot off, we think this is your best and safest option.

No one ever went through his meds to see if anything could be improved, no one went through his food habits to see why he didn't heal (He refuses to take any vitamins on his own because he just takes prescribed meds because they are "safe". I know scurvy causes decreased wound healing but he thinks he cannot have it, even if he never eats fruit or veg or drinks juice). In the past, when he was himself, you could talk to him and he would take what you said in consideration. Now he just gets mad because he knows he cannot process what I said so it is better for his pride to snap at me.

His memory and judgment got so bad he is no longer allowed outside, not even with company. He had a global amnesia attack at Walmart and scared everyone so he is banned from there now. He forgot that though, he now says he is allowed there and nothing happened.

I just wonder, if he goes into hospital for the amputation, do you think they will reflect upon his meds? Or when someone goes in, do they just give them the same as always? Also, do they notice if someone refuses to eat normal food and just demands cake and poptarts? I guess they will notice when he throws the food tray at them because his temper got so bad that he does those things when he is frustrated.

It's so hard to fathom this man was reasonably healthy up to like 10 years ago. That he could take care of himself, ate half properly, had fun, did different things, was a bit active... And now he just sits and watches TV 10 hours a day and sleeps 14 hours a day. And will have his foot chopped off!

I managed to get some info about him and his doctor (the one that prescribes statins) had said that my friend does NOT have dementia, and the doc actually SAID the memory issues is a side effect! Still he keeps up the same medication.

If you read this, thanx for reading. Once again, sorry for needing to whine.
fadetoblack is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Darlene (12-03-2015), EnglishDave (12-02-2015), Lara (12-03-2015), Snoopy (12-04-2015)