View Single Post
Old 12-02-2015, 11:02 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi JG,

There is no benefit to packing a surgical extraction site unless a dry socket is without question determined to be present. It sounds like this OS is rather eager to pack the sites which makes me wonder why he was so quick to do that?? If you feel that this dentist is not caring for you properly, please don't assume this is normal and go on suffering, consult with a different oral surgeon this week. FYI... you would need to have your pre op xrays for that "new" appointment.

Please let us know how you're doing.
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG1993 View Post
Hi everyone, I hope you are all well. I come to the forum for the first time in a time of need. On 11/06 I had all 4 wisdom teeth taken out by an oral surgeon. He said the extractions were complex because they were all impacted and that the surgery took much longer than expected. I am a 22 year old female in good health typically. After the surgery I followed all instructions (I do not smoke) but on the 3rd day after extraction I had a follow up appt with the surgeon. He told me I had dry socket which was a surprise to me because I was NOT experiencing unbearable pain. Anyways, he packed both of the lower sockets with the clove dressings and I was on my way. On 11/26 the surgeon took out the packing and thought I should be ok without it.. a couple hours later the throbbing pain returned so I went back to get them repacked. It is now 12/02 and I thought I was doing very well, although the surgeon has still been packing the sockets a couple times a week. My last packing was last night during which he said that it would be my last packing and I would come back on Thursday to get the packing out.... well... he then asked me if I had any pain at all.. I told him I had mild pain when clenching or biting down hard on the top on my left side.. He then proceeded to get very worked up and told me I "may have a dry socket on the top" and then despite my saying I did not want him to put anything in the top socket or touch it at all.. he packed the top socket.. well now of course the top socket has been in pain since being packed.. I feel this packing was completely useless but now since I am in pain I'm terrified he has created a dry socket where there wasn't one. It seems hard to believe I would have a dry socket on the top after almost 4 weeks...

I really don't know what to do, I don't want this packing in my top socket but I'm scared that it will begin to hurt now if the packing gets taken out. Can anyone offer me any advice? I feel like this has all been going on so long. Up until he packed and irrigated that top socket I was in no pain in the top or the bottom. I'm at a loss and I'm starting to really not trust his opinion. Oh.. I forgot to mention he also cut my lip during surgery and it needed 6 stitches..

I'm so upset I've been having a mental breakdown for the last 24 hours since he packed the top one.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote