View Single Post
Old 12-03-2015, 10:40 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi JG,

If the extraction sites were healing on their own, then disturbing them could result in ......... less than ideal healing as the initial blood clot and healing cells were disrupted .......... or a bone infection and inflammation called Osteomyelitis .... or prolong the healing time.

A dry socket is called Alveolar Osteitis which basically means inflammation of the jaw bone. Surgical dressings for this condition are intended to soothe the inflammation and promote healing. Depending on what type of dressing was used, the non dis-solvable type are not intended to be left in the socket for longer than 2, 3 days max without being removed and changed if needed. Depending on the severity of the condition, some patients need to have the dis-solvable packing replaced or undissolved packing removed and a new one placed once a day for several days. Due to the fact that extraction sites are holes in the jaw bone, food debris can collect inside the hole. This is not a problem if the food debris is minimum and rinsing with warm salt water is able to keep the sites relatively debris free. The dry socket packing is like an insulator to prevent food debris from embedding inside of the socket. However, to leave a non dis-solvable packing in the socket for longer than 2-3 days is like leaving a dirty band-Ade over a deep wound which would prolong the healing of the site.

If you get the sense that this dentist is making light of your situation and perhaps not treating you properly, then please consult with another oral surgeon.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG1993 View Post
Hi Bryanna,

Thank you for your reply. I have another appointment with the same oral surgeon tomorrow morning first thing. I will see what he does during this appointment then decide whether to seek out another opinion. I really just want to heal. It doesn't seem like there is any infection present so I don't see why I can't just get the dressings out and be ok. Its been nearly a month

Is there anyway he CREATED a dry socket on the top site by packing it and irrigating it?!?! I'm so worried.

Again, thank you!

JG

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote