View Single Post
Old 12-03-2015, 08:31 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Mary,

Yes that is a large area and usually more than a general dentist can handle unless they have extensive training in oral surgery.

There are different methods used to attempt at least primary closure on a hole of that size and the ideal time to perform the closure is at the time of the extractions. Oral tissue recedes after any tooth extraction which can be problematic if trying to close up the wound at a later date. Also the more diseased the tissue is or the more tissue that is removed during the surgery, the less there will be to suture closed. So between the recession, the infection and the traumatic surgery..... this oral surgeon has a difficult task to perform.

What is the current status of the opening in the sinus?

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeggy3450 View Post
Brianna,

I made a mistake when I said the hole was 5 mm. It is actually 30mm x 15mm. Isn't that a little big for a regular dentist to take care of? The tooth came out in pieces. I would have thought that at the time of the extraction (#2 and #3) she should have referred me to a oral surgeon or stopped in the middle of the extraction when she saw she was having trouble. I was told that normally an oral surgeon would have stretched skin from the buckle and covered the hole. Here it is more than 4 months and my new dentist/oral surgeon is having a difficult time getting it closed. Thanks.

Mary

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote