View Single Post
Old 12-03-2015, 09:25 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Have the MRI results come back? I had that test and others. My understanding is in the great majority of cases, a nerve compression in the brain is what qualifies you for the MVD procedure. Without such a compression, it doesn't make a lot of sense to do the MVD procedure.

I suffered bad Trigeminal nerve/facial nerve pain (and damage) after a dental procedure. The MVD didn't show compression (s). Some people call this "Aytypical" Trigmenial Neuraglia, although this is not the technical name for it.

Very very general speaking, I seem to notice that people with the nerve compressions in their brains (where MVD helps) often have that quick horrible electrical type pain. Others, like myself, have a very bad, prolonged boring, deep , relentless pain.

My neuro told me MVD wouldn't work for me since I didn't have a compression as indicated by an MRI. So meds would be my best tx. I use a compounded cream that I rub on my face. You can prob. look at my old posts as I talked about it a lot.

For those who do have a nerve compression (brain) as indicated by an MRI, I understand the MVD procedure is often very helpful.

It's been three years now for me using meds alone. (Again, I wasn't a candidate for MVD as I had facial nerve damage) The first two years or so were rough. Went through many meds. Very recently, I feel I have more control of the situation. Not perfect, but my meds seem to work better or something. I've also learned to avoid triggers, etc.

Dentists seem to know little about facial nerve pain or go into denial. It's good that you are seeing a neurologist. Sometimes you have to get a second opinion as so me neurologists aren't all that familiar with TN or it's atypical variety.

Hang in there!
Vowel Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote