View Single Post
Old 12-04-2015, 11:37 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

[QUOTE=Icehouse;1186419]1582 days sober.

My doctor put me back on Alpha-Lipoic Acid and has me doing exercises to help with my "nerve damage". So far I can't tell a difference....SMH.

I will reiterate that I do NOT have any pain whatsoever, but I still walk with a bit of a gait and still get tired if I stand still too long. But, after 4 years of sobriety, I can honestly say that quitting drinking was the best thing I have done for my mind, soul and body....[/QUOTE

Most impressive Icehouse, way to go!! I think it is interesting that your doc put you on ALA. My PCP and my Neuro seem to be mostly agnostic about any supplements, except to occasionally mumble "a vit. B supplement might be a good idea." I take ALA and a slew of other stuff, I have no idea if any of it does any good, or if I just have expensive urine!! On the exercise front, I recently doubled the amount I do (simply put, I went from 30 minutes daily on a treadmill and stationary bike to 60 minutes). I noticed that I felt better after exercise, and my Neuro said basically I can't do anything that would make PN worse and can only make it better with exercise, I got so frustrated with the symptoms that a few weeks ago I just doubled everything. Lo and behold, I felt much better than I expected. There seems to be a "grace period" where I am pain free, and doubling the exercise more or less doubled the grace period. I'll take it. I also am on Day 6 of using the Quell unit, it is a wearable TENS unit and it has also been a pleasant surprise. In my poking around, I found this vid on how exercise stimulates the growth of neurons, nerves, etc. I thought of it when you mentioned exercise. Part 2 is also on youtube if you are interested. Cheers everyone!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFRRDmc0QjY
"Thanks for this!" says:
Icehouse (12-05-2015), mrsD (12-04-2015), PamelaJune (12-24-2015)