View Single Post
Old 12-04-2015, 11:39 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

ono8ono,

You are welcome!

Yea in general people see gold and think... I've got gold in my mouth! The dentists who keep the "gold" crowns from old bridge work or extracted teeth sell them to a refinery. But since the amount paid for the "gold" is based on the weight of the actual gold content, the dentist has to accumulate a lot of gold crowns to make them worth selling. In general dental practices, the crowns are kept in a jar in the lab and maybe once every couple of years or more the refinery picks them up. I've had patients want their gold crown returned to them, once it's been removed from their tooth, so they could sell it on their own. They often report back to me saying.... I only got a few dollars for it!

Yes, please speak to your dentist about the restorative options as he is the best one to gauge what is in your best interest. If you want to go with a gold crown or a porcelain fused to gold crown, my recommendation is to request that the dentist tell the dental lab to use as much real gold as possible to avoid using as little of the other less compatible metals as possible to mix in with the gold.

Bryanna

QUOTE=ono8ono;1186767]Thank you for spending time to write such detail explanations. Really appreciated.

You are right about the gold crown misconception.. I always thought the gold crown is 100% gold. I'm going to ask my dentist what kind of procelain material is best for me.

[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote