View Single Post
Old 12-05-2015, 11:50 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Thank you kindly for your response, Ken.

I am trying my best to fix things, but not knowing the cause is difficult. What I've noticed is that those with alcohol induced neuropathy have the involvement of larger nerves and more of a length dependent neuropathy, whereas mine is purely small fiber and non-length dependent, so all over the body. That makes me wonder. The neuro suspects autoimmune. Of course, it could be a combination of things and physicians in particular are prone to forgetting that the body is a whole, a complete and interrelated organism.

I thankfully don't have much pain, very little compared to others, but itching, tingling, some numbness, twitching and spams all over. I also have shaking down one side of my body. The autonomic symptons are the most worrisome perhaps. That's just to give you an idea.

No, it wasn't difficult to stop drinking. I miss it and will miss it, since I was big into craft beer culture, but that means nothing compared to my health. The doctors didn't even ask me to stop, but as soon as I read about alcoholic neuropathy, I immediately didn't touch another drop of alcohol. I don't want to risk it and even if I go into complete remission, I'm not sure I ever will again.

I have a very strict ketogenic diet and use various supplements, B12 coming up, just started D3 and K2, and only this has give me relief from when I was very horrible in the summer. However naive it may be, I want remission and am willing and able to do whatever is necessary. So not touching sugar, carbs, alcohol, and many other things is easy for me, even if not being to have a single meal that I didn't prepare myself makes life somewhat more difficult at times.

Thanks again for your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkrp01 View Post
If you can find a causal factor for your PN such as diabetes or alcohol at least that gives a person something to keep under control. I don't remember any kind of situation where a person could say that they were fortunate because they this kind or that kind of PN. The parameters for symptoms however are wide open. Some suffer terribly and others are just aggravated that they have something that they cannot fix. I hope that your symptoms are not too bad and that it wasn't too hard to get off the beer. I have friends that have absolutely no power over alcohol and will become violent at even the conversation about getting help. This is the reason that I hate alcohol and have much respect for anyone strong enough to fight it. We all struggle to eat for nutrition and understand what out body needs to heal or at least stop the damage. You need to know what your b-12 number is because I felt a bit better after I got mine up toward 1000. Also if you experience tender and burning skin on your feet, Mortons Epsom Salt Lotion helped me to use bedsheets again. Good Luck, Ken in Texas.
DavidHC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote