Thread: IVIG treatment
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2015, 02:01 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Thank you for this information. I'll ask my neuro about this the next time I see him, and hopefully he'll be receptive. All he mentioned at our last appointment is Prednisone, if it's autoimmume, specifically Sjogren's.

If I may ask, how long have you had it and in what way has it helped? I'm wondering if it can cure or completely heal SFN, or at least give one's body a fighting chance.

I'm going to do some research on this, but if anyone has any article, studies, anything to link to regarding SFN and IVIG, I'd love to read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by en bloc View Post
I receive IVIG for PN/SFN and have had improvement. But I will warn you that IVIG is extremely expensive and typically insurance requires other treatments (steroids, anti-seizure, anti-depressants, etc) be tried first before you'll get a chance at IVIG. That being said, if you have a positive skin biopsy, documented autoimmune disease, and/or a doctor willing to go to bat for you, then you might get a trial without all the red tape.

You are correct in that it treats the root of the problem and can actually increase fiber density (and this can be confirmed with follow-up skin biopsies).

Can't hurt to try to get IVIG from the start...just don't be surprised if you have to try other treatments first.
DavidHC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote