View Single Post
Old 12-12-2015, 11:36 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Pravs,

I am going to re post some of your post and reply in bold type. This makes it easier to follow.

<<The infections was there in XRays, below the roots. He recommended doing a root canal again and sent me to an endodontist. The endodontist recommended the same thing and fixed an appointment. But then, I stumbled on this website and read Bryanna's views about RCT. I was thinking that how the re-RCT will correct an infection which is not even on the roots.>>

THE PATHOLOGY (INFECTION) THAT WAS SEEN ON THE DENTAL XRAYS GIVES THE IMPRESSION THAT THE INFECTION IS "ON THE ROOTS" BECAUSE:

#1) THOSE XRAYS ARE ONLY A 2 DIMENSIONAL PICTURE WHICH GIVES A LIMITED VIEW OF THE EXTENT AND AREA OF THE INFECTION.

#2) THE INFECTION BEING NOTED AS "ON THE ROOTS" ARE ACTUAL PERIAPICAL CYSTS. THESE ARE FLUID FILLED BALLOON LIKE SACS OF INFECTION THAT ARE ATTACHED TO THE TOOTH AND TO THE JAW BONE. THEY COMMONLY OCCUR WITH ROOT CANALED TEETH AS THE INFECTIOUS BACTERIA FROM INSIDE THE TOOTH SPREADS BEYOND THE TOOTH.

AS YOU STATED, THE 3D SCAN SHOWED THAT THE INFECTION WAS NOT JUST "ON THE ROOTS", AS THE FIRST DENTIST AND ENDODONTIST HAD TOLD YOU. BUT RATHER THAT THE INFECTION HAD CAUSED THE BONE TO DETERIORATE AROUND THE ROOT STRUCTURE OF THE TOOTH. THIS FINDING INDICATES THAT THE TOOTH HAS BEEN INFECTED FOR QUITE SOME TIME. NOT EVERYONE HAS OBVIOUS SYMPTOMS AS THIS IS OCCURRING. DID YOU HAVE SYMPTOMS OF THIS INFECTION PRIOR TO JUST RECENTLY?

<<My tooth was sensitive to cold and hot fluids(strange that one is not supposed to feel anything on the tooth after RCT).>>

IT IS NOT UNCOMMON FOR ROOT CANALED TEETH (OR AREAS AROUND RC TEETH) TO BE TEMPERATURE SENSITIVE, FEEL ACHY, POSSIBLY A BIT LOOSE, HAVE GUM INFLAMMATION, PRODUCE PUS, CAUSE A BAD ODOR OR GUM SORENESS. THESE SYMPTOMS CAN BE CHRONIC OR OCCUR INTERMITTENTLY. CONVENTIONAL DENTISTRY CONSIDERS THESE SYMPTOMS WITH RC TEETH TO BE "NORMAL" SIMPLY BECAUSE THEY ARE "TYPICAL" AND "EXPECTED" TO OCCUR DUE TO THE CHRONIC INFECTION INSIDE OF THE TOOTH.

<<Anyways, 3 days back I got the extraction and bone graft done. She didn't prescribe any antibiotics as she said that infection was scraped out.>>

ANTIBIOTICS ARE NOT ALWAYS NEEDED AFTER A TOOTH EXTRACTION. GLAD TO HEAR THAT SHE SCRAPED THE SURGICAL SITE CLEAN OF VISIBLE INFECTION.

<<She prescribed painkiller, only if needed, and a gel(sockit). I am using the gel regularly but I am still feeling the heat and cold the same way I used to feel earlier. Apart from that, I don't feel much pain throughout the day. Couple of advils work fine along with Vicodine at night.>>

OKAY. HOW OFTEN ARE YOU USING THE SOCKIT? IT IS MEANT TO BE USED TO RELIEVE PAIN, UP TO 4-6 TIMES A DAY FOR ABOUT THE FIRST 2-3 DAYS. YOU CAN APPLY IT LONGER THAN THAT BUT GENERALLY IT'S NOT NECESSARY. HOWEVER, YOU DETERMINE IF YOU NEED TO CONTINUE WITH IT BASED ON WHETHER OR NOT YOU STILL HAVE PAIN.

THE TEMPERATURE SENSITIVITY CAN BE DUE TO THE RECENT SURGERY.. IT CAN ALSO BE DUE TO GUM RECESSION ON ONE OR BOTH ADJACENT TEETH. WHAT IS THE HEALTH OF THE ADJACENT TEETH? DO THEY HAVE CAVITIES? DO YOU HAVE OTHER RC TEETH IN THAT QUADRANT? DO YOU HAVE GINGIVITIS (BLEEDING AND/OR PUFFY GUMS) OR PERIODONTAL DISEASE? ARE YOU ABLE TO BRUSH AND FLOSS ALL OF YOUR TEETH EVERY DAY?

<<Only issue for me is the sensitivity and occasional headache on same side as the molar. Is this normal after a extraction/bone graft?>>

SENSITIVITY AS I MENTIONED ABOVE CAN OCCUR FOR THOSE REASONS. SO YES, IT CAN BE NORMAL IF IN THAT QUADRANT YOU DO NOT HAVE GUM RECESSION, CAVITIES. OTHER RC OR INFECTED TEETH, OR GUM DISEASE.

<<I am seeing the dentist again on Wednesday for removing the sutures from membrane she used. Shall I ask her something else?>>

OKAY. TELL HER ABOUT THE TEMPERATURE SENSITIVITY AND TRY TO BE SPECIFIC AS TO WHEN AND WHERE YOU FEEL IT. ASK HER TO EVALUATE THE HEALTH OF YOUR OTHER TEETH AND GUMS AND GIVE YOU HER FINDINGS IF ANY. ALSO ASK HER TO CHECK FOR GUM RECESSION ON THE ADJACENT TEETH TO THIS EXTRACTION SITE.

Thank you for reading the information on this forum, glad it was so helpful to you. Also, thank you for sharing your dental experience with us as it may be of help to other reading here. Please check back and let us know how you are doing.

Bryanna

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Pravs (12-14-2015)