View Single Post
Old 12-13-2015, 01:01 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Kelly18,

Yes, as was said previously, she needs to be seen by a doctor. With the seriousness of her injury, she could fall out of bed during the night, hit her head and be in a life threatening situation.

But, her desire to get finals done is also a bad risk. She will likely do poorly, if not fail. Believe me. I've been there in college. I did not have the resources she has and nobody really understood concussion issues in 1974. I was an honor student with math and science as my strongest subjects but got a C- in my E&M Physics final. It ended my pursuit of dental school by killing my GPA. I bombed one other final, too. (a 5 credit C-).

I was just repeating a similar situation from high school where a soccer concussion cost me a full grade point average drop for 4 quarters.

If she gets checked, she can get a deferment of her finals until she is doing better. Without a medical examination, what ever grade she gets will likely stand.

To make matters even worse, she is pushing through the most critical period for rest. Research shows the first few days after a concussion are the most important. She should be resting until her headache resolves and her ability to concentrate recovers. Continuing to push may end her soccer career due to prolonging her recovery.

I hope I have emphasized enough. As Jo*Mar said, she may be making a life altering decision by not seeing a doctor.

And, keep her away from caffeine and energy drinks in case she thinks she needs a pick-me-up. No alcohol either.
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote