View Single Post
Old 06-30-2007, 01:25 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanP View Post
I totally agree with rfinney!!! This med (LAMICTAL) is extremely dangerous and should be started at the lowest dosage levels. It can indeed cause a fatal rash when not administered properly. Since they have started patients on lower dosages the incidence of rash is rare. Problem is, there is no guarantee the rash can be cured once started. The PDR once carried a BLACK BOX WARNING but I don't have a current copy of the PDR so can't confirm that it still does. If you can't reach your doctor immediately then call/see your pharmacist and see what s/he says......just don't take the med until you have talked with your doctor and are totally satisfied with what s/he says.

Because of the BLACK BOX WARNING (this is a warning in large black lettering immediately below the word Lamictal in the PDR), I refused to get the RX filled until I saw my Neuro. I saw the Neuro a few days later and when I told him what I had learned he slammed my chart shut and said: "I do not see patients who do not follow my orders" and stomped out of the room. Needless to say we never saw one another again.

Thank God all physicians are not like this but some are such prima donna SOBs that think the world revolves around them. Most physician's education about medicines extend very little beyond what the pharmaceutical rep tells them so always check before you get the RX filled....could save you a lot of grief. They get very little training in pharmaceuticals during medical school and rarely have or take time for it after graduation.

Good luck matia and I hope things go well for you. Keep us informed.
Not just that...but it seems for most doctors their first course of treatment for *anything* is to throw pills at it. Stupid!