View Single Post
Old 12-14-2015, 11:30 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebeed View Post
How long after stopping the antibiotics did your wife develop peripheral neuropathy? This is exactly what happened to me - except it was Augmentin for 1 week. My neuropathy started one month after stopping the Augmentin. But the neuropathy wasn't from the Augmentin. It was Lyme disease. The Augmentin did something to stir up the Lyme disease and it started attacking the peripheral nerves. I was also having eye symptoms. And scary heart symptoms. Check out the posts from LizaJane about how to PROPERLY get tested for Lyme. Use the IGeneX lab only, not your regular doctor's tests. They are NOT accurate.
She started having weird nerve sensations (slight tingling, slight burning etc) towards the end of the 5-day treatment. These slightly intensified over the coming weeks but never got past the "irritating and discomforting but not painful" stage. Azithromycin has a really long half-life and is active in the body up to a month after the last dose according to the administrating physician. After about 6 weeks of these burnings and tinglings my wife started with the Mirtazapine antidepressant and after just two-three days the neuropathy got worse, and in a week it was outright painful. So she stopped taking them and we got in contact with a great neurologist who did a full regiment of tests on her as well as prescribed the Lyrica.

So while I am pretty convinced Azithromycin is the original culprit it seems the antidepressants had an increasing effect. The reason I think this is because she about 2 months ago had a try with Sertraline (SSRI) and after just one small dose she had severe nerve pain and pins-and-needles all over the body. This lasted for about two days. So it seems she is really sensitive to paresthesia side effects in medicin (which both Azithryomycine, Sertraline and Mirtazapine list as a side-effect).
Sredna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote