View Single Post
Old 12-14-2015, 09:41 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

I also looked that up and found the same info on the 72 hour rule. Thanks!

Regarding the pharmacy ordering for next day. I got the order filled at night, so they couldn't order till the next day. The earliest I could have gotten, would have been 2 days. Keep in mind, I have been through this before where I had to wait for an order. Sometimes they tell me they forgot or there is a delay and I have to wait longer. I was very close to going to the hospital ER that day. Plus, they said they couldn't get it ordered for a few days because only the head pharmacist is authorized to order narcotics and was not in! What a joke this is!!!!!!!!!!
They said the earliest I would have the Nucynta would be 2-3 days, but possibly more. They said the law clearly states no partials on narcotics. LOL.
They also said they can rarely ever get a med for the next day. It takes a few days even for normal meds.

I will not use this Pharmacy again. Why do I have to educate pharmacists? Crazy! I even asked my normal Rite Aid pharmacy and they said the same - no partial fills with any schedule II drug no matter what. They both told me either wait till next week or only get half filled and that is it.

I am going to have a talk with my pharmacist.

It went like this after calling every pharmacy in the area, I ended up at a local CVS::
I go into the pharmacy last Wednesday I believe it was, and this was the only place in the area that had about 100 pills in stock so I went with this one. They explained how it all works with narcotics and nothing they could do - due to the law. Said nothing.

I said I can hardly walk the pain is so bad and the doctor took my Tramadol to give me this script so I am not waiting another 3-4 days, I need it now.
They said they have to close out the script and I have to get my doctor to give me a new script for the remaining 80 count.

I called the doctor's office and they told me I should never get a partial fill. I felt like saying let me give you my pain for a day and see if you wait several days? I was ready to go to the ER. I was almost in tears in line at the pharmacy. It felt like I was having surgery on my arm while awake!

The nurse said she will see if the doctor will give me a script for the remaining 80, tomorrow. He better! Otherwise, time for new pain doctor.
The nurse said to me that there is no such thing as a partial narcotics fill. huh?

The nurse said the big fight will be getting insurance to approve and to pay.

I called the Caremark prescription insurance support line and they told me the pharmacy failed to tell me I had 72 hours to have the partial filled and completed. We could have gone that route. I rely on the pharmacist to be able to inform me of these things and to be knowledgeable.
I told them that the pharmacist said my only option was to get a new script for the 80 remaining. Caremark told me that they better not charge me since they owe me the remaining script and they essentially already accepted the bill for a one month supply. Caremark told me, the fact that they did not follow through or even mention as they should with delivering me the remaining 80 within 72 hours - it is 100% on them and their fault.

Wait till I tell the doctor's office about this since they seemed clueless as well. I am going to explain everything to them and if they screw me, I will never use that CVS again. Caremark, whether or not insurance covers this or not, should not be an issue because they owe me 80! I just hope the doctor writes the script, because they seemed unhappy with me for getting a partial script. I explained no other pharmacy had Nucynta in stock and you guys already took my Tramadol, leaving me with nothing. What was I supposed to do? She seemed to agree.

The thing that really angers me is that this whole thing adds so much stress and anxiety to my already terrible situation. Now I will have to drive another half hour to my doctor's office for the script. Then I have to fight with the pharmacy and insurance to get what I need! They also said they won't fill the remaining till I finish the 100. I feel like telling them to give me the remaining now and I am never coming back! Ugh.

I am so worried and can't think of much else right now. It is all consuming. I am afraid they will scr#w me and I will end up having to wait for the January script unless I can get an insurance over ride and get it filled early. At least the insurance company is very helpful and willing! At least someone appears in my corner.

Thanks for the support everyone!
I am writing a letter or two to CVS.
I will ensure the doctor understands this and does not blame me!
They need to know that a person with hell pain can't just easily wait till the following week wit nothing at all. They also seemed clueless about the 72 hour rule.

I found some of the hospitals in the Philly area are familiar with CRPS and treat it well. I have an appointment with a Neurologist at Penn Medicine who seems to have a huge area of coverage. I also am making an appointment for the Drexel Medical Neuro sciences center.

I hate to say it, but these laws force people to find relief elsewhere, natural means, spending huge amounts of money or even illegal drugs. What a shame.
guitarguy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EnglishDave (12-15-2015), eva5667faliure (12-16-2015), PamelaJune (12-15-2015)