View Single Post
Old 12-14-2015, 09:51 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Winter View Post
That is what my neurologist told me as well. I have basically been ruled out of every symptom on the list in that study. This is why i keep going back to 6 years on a statin and acid reducer. One of those, or the combination had to have had something to do with mine. There have been specific studies linking statins to neuropathy, oddly enough they are not something listed in that study. Lots of medicines are proven to cause neuropathy but we wouldn't want to make the big pharmaceutical companies look bad now would we?
One piece of this problem is that there are not a lot of connections made between toxins/medications and neuropathy in the medical literature. I was personally concerned that my environmental exposure to chemicals could have caused my symptoms so I scoured PubMed and it was pretty thin on information. I think it is just hard to prove cause and effect - much like it was hard for researchers to prove that smoking causes cancer; they only had epidemiological cohort studies to look at.

Another piece of this, is that Phase III trials generally only last 2 years and then the company files a NDA to get the drug approved. Are doctors only seeing patients acquire neuropathies after 5 or more years of statin use? This would not have been seen in the clinical trials. And if doctors are seeing idiopathic neuropathies with their statin patients, why aren't these connections being identified? And if doctors are making these connections, are they reporting them to the adverse event hotline?

Patrick, if you have ruled everything else out and you think that your statin caused your neuropathy, you should report it.

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scrip...reporting.home

Click the "consumer/patient" button on the right.
madisongrrl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bluesfan (12-15-2015), echoes long ago (12-16-2015), glenntaj (12-15-2015), mrsD (12-15-2015), pinkynose (12-15-2015), SU30boy (12-18-2015)