View Single Post
Old 12-15-2015, 01:37 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Failed root canal, what now? Soooo painful!

Ok. I've been reading these forums here for the last few days and it seems there some pretty educated people here.

I've had three root canals in my life. Two have been extracted due to cavities forming and the teeth being unsalvageable by the time I had money to see a dentist. My last RC was done about 8-9 months ago. In the last month my face has been swelling (both sides) and I've also had extensive fillings and some extractions. I wrote this swelling off due to extractions I've had. I have seen my dentist multiple times and because he can't see any infection on his X-rays he told me to see my Dr and rule out a sinus infection (seems he must know they can't see some infections in their X-rays otherwise why "rule out" a sinus infection instead of stating matter of factly that it is a sinus infection?). Anyway, went to my Dr. Got a steriod spray. Everything was golden. No more pain. No more swelling....and then...suddenly this morning my RC tooth (last molar, too right would have been right next to my wisdom tooth not sure what number it is) it's zinging me like crazy and is VERY sensitive to touch. It's very painful now and after talking to my dentist he wanted me to see an edodontist and have a repeat RC. Well, that's not happening. I believe it should be extracted and due to not having any faith in my current dentist (a whole other laundry list of things I belive he has screwed up) i demanded a referral to an Oral surgeon for the extraction. So, that is in the process of happening now.

What I realy NEED to know is what I can do in the meantime. The oral surgeon cannot fit me in for another 6-8 weeks. I'm in pain here. Not just a bit of pain, but I'm ready to snap already and it only started this morning kind of pain. Is there anything I can actually do to help with the pain for the next 6-8 weeks?? I took some Tylenol 3 already, it hasn't done anything. I took it hours ago so I would assume if it was going to work, it would have already. Do I see my family Dr and try for some Vicodin? That seems a bit extreme to me, but this pain is real and awful and im not sure what to do. Can a person even take Vicodin daily for 6-8 weeks? Ugh....what are my options here?

Thank you.
stylinmama21 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote