View Single Post
Old 12-16-2015, 01:32 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi JenLRhodes,

Given your dental history, surgical experience and antibiotic history, it is very possible that the sudden smell in your nose is indicative of something abnormal (bacterial) in your sinus.

Was there any mention of a sinus exposure or perforation mentioned to your by the oral surgeon? If you press on your face just to the side of your nose on each side, near the lower cheek bone, do you get any pain or tenderness? If you bend your head down towards the floor do you get any pulsating or discomfort in the your sinus or head? Any discomfort or pressure in your ears? Any post nasal drip? Do your nasal passages or sinus feel stuffy?

May I ask... were the extracted teeth root canaled?

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLRhodes View Post
Hi,

I found this site from a lot of google searches, I saw Bryanna post on some very similar issues, so I appreciate the attention on this potentially redundant thread.

I have just had five teeth extracted, they came out 12 days ago. I had the top two molars on my right side fused to the bone (my 12 year molar and wisdom tooth) I had a bone graft placed.

It was quite a painful recovery, i took pain meds for over a week (Norco) along with ibuprofen and as much tylenol as i could add without taking too much. I also took a weeks worth of amoxil after the surgery.

A strong smell began in my nose a few days ago, a couple days after i finished the amoxil. It smells like roadkill, and it's disgusting. My boogers (Sorry) look clear if there are any at all. I have no fever.

I did have a lot of pain at the site, the bone grafting area was the most painful part of my recovery, all the other extractions were fairly straightforward with normal 3-5 day recovery.

This has put me through the wringer. I am worrying myself, infection/abscess or some sort of evil. Any ideas?

I have an appointment with my OS day after tomorrow. If it is an infection, will antibiotics alone help?

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote