View Single Post
Old 12-17-2015, 03:01 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

The brain continues to mature until 25 years old. The critical issue during the teens is the maturing of the judgement processing system. When the brain's development/maturing is interrupted by injury, this maturing can be limited. This judgement maturing only happens during this period. It will not start up and continue to full maturity with just a delay.

Soldiers are best in battle at 18 to 22 because their judgement system has not matured yet.

A person with brain trauma or illness during these years can be left with a maturity level equal to the age when their injury/illness happened/started. If they recover soon enough, some of the maturing can still take place as the maturing process slows down.

I know a man who was drug addicted during these years and has the maturity level of a 12 to 14 year old. I know a woman who spent most of these years fighting schizophrenia and bi-polar disorder and has a similar maturity issue. Brain trauma that takes years to heal can cause the same.

If a personality can be changed by trauma, it easily fits that judgement maturity can, also.

A common struggle after brain trauma is recognizing facial expressions and other social cues. It is due to a break in the hard wiring.

Understanding these issues can help us move forward by utilizing assistance and guidance as we make decisions.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote