View Single Post
Old 12-18-2015, 07:57 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHC View Post
Madisongrrl, whenever you get a chance, I'd be grateful if you would tell us why you (may) think the test you took is more accurate than the Western Blot and others.
This is such a complicated topic. There seems to be some really great tests out there but they are criticized because they haven't gone through the FDA process. However, that process is expensive and takes several years to get through.

The clinic that is handling my Lyme utilizes many types of testing. I'm not sure why they decided on the iSpot. I have read that the iSpot might be more accurate than the Western Blot, but I'm not sure how factual this is. I did have another doctor offer to run the iSpot, because she thought the test was indeed the most accurate. But she does not specialize in Lyme so she referred me to my current Lyme clinicians. I'm going to call her up and thank her because her recommendations are what set this in motion.

Here is a video that explains the iSpot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxwNu33zRE8

I personally feel that the CDC test is worthless. I had a known deer tick bite in 2005 in Lyme-endemic northern Wisconsin that was followed by a typical Lyme "summer flu" a few weeks later- throw in a few seizures and some neurological style symptoms as well. I had 4 negative CDC Elisa tests. Clearly I had some tick-borne illness. These symptoms lasted and lasted, while my doctors scratched their heads and went on to test me for other things like MS. They should have known better. If it looks like a duck.....it's a duck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHC View Post
Years ago I got a bite on my ankle and till today I don't know where it came from. I don't think it's connected, but I did live in a Lyme ridden place, I've just learned. This makes me wonder. But given what I've just read about diagnoses and even if done accurately the possibility of healing, I'm somewhat frozen and not sure how to proceed. I will write the other person, Leeza Jane, I believe her name way, who found out she had Lyme years later. Thanks again for sharing and also for making me think about this.
If your doctors can't find out what is causing your symptoms and give upon you, then maybe Lyme might be an avenue to explore. I know some people feel that Lyme can be a clinical diagnosis alone, and maybe that is true....but I personally felt that I needed a test to prove that it was indeed Lyme. Plus, I've had a symptom reduction after 2 months of antibiotics and LDN. So that is a conformation of sorts.
madisongrrl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DavidHC (12-20-2015), mrsD (12-20-2015)