View Single Post
Old 12-19-2015, 03:56 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi rchlit,

I am going to re post some of your thread and answer underneath your question.

< Can a bone graft work if it had come out of an infected area.>>

I assume you mean .... can a bone graft work if it was placed in an infected area? Based on that assumption the answer is it depends. It is not ideal to do bone grafting in a non sterile and/or infected site. Ideally the site should be thoroughly debrided of all visible infected tissue and bone and if there is any suspicion of residual infection still lurking in the site, then consider prescribing antibiotics and holding off on the graft for a few weeks or so.

<<2. Will a bone graft work with an ongoing infection in the next tooth?>>

There is a logical chance that the infection from the adjacent tooth will infect or at minimum compromise the bone graft. The same rules apply as in my answer to your first question.

<< 3. Should the Dentist have even performed an extraction and bone graft knowing that both were infected?>>

Well.... refer back to my answer in #1. If both teeth next to each need to be removed due to infection, why remove one and not the other? Why perform two separate surgeries risking contamination of both sites?

By now you've had the other tooth out? What is your current status regarding everything considered?

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote