Thread: Help :(
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2015, 11:05 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

JamesSmith,

<< I can clearly see that the palatal root is filled past the apex after you mentioned it. I'm surprised that the second dentist I consulted did not even bring it up! He was only concerned with the distal root not been filled to the apex.>>

TWO REASONS WHY HE DIDN'T MENTION IT:

1) ALTHOUGH A PERFORATED ROOT TIP IS A HUGE CAUSE FOR CONCERN, IT IS A TYPICAL "OOPS" FREQUENTLY SEEN AND NOT JUDGED UNTIL THE AREA SHOWS SIGNS OF INFECTION.

2) HE IS CAUTIOUS AS TO WHAT HE INFORMS YOU ABOUT REGARDING ANOTHER DENTISTS WORK.

THE SHORT FILL IN THE DISTAL ROOT IS SOMETHING HE CAN "COMMENT" ON AS THIS COULD BE THE RESULT OF A CALCIFICATION IN THAT PORTION OF THE ROOT. MEANING THAT PORTION OF THE CANAL MAY BE CONGENITALLY CLOSED OFF NOT ALLOWING INSTRUMENTATION TO GET IN. I DOUBT THAT'S WHAT THE CASE WITH THIS TOOTH, BUT IT IS POSSIBLE.

<< You mentioned that although both these things are unhealthy, they are a typical occurrence...So in your opinion, would most dentists consider this root canal a success or failure?>>

IT'S A TYPICAL, MEANING FREQUENT, BUT GENERALLY ACCEPTED OUTCOME BECAUSE THE ONLY ALTERNATIVE IS TO EXTRACT THE TOOTH. THAT MEANS DUE TO THE ANATOMY OF OUR TEETH AND THE NECESSITY FOR ALL BODY PARTS TO REMAIN VITAL, THE RC PROCEDURE IS A FAILED PROCEDURE TO BEGIN WITH AND IT IS IRRELEVANT OF HOW WELL IT IS DONE, THE TOOTH WILL REMAIN INFLAMED AND DISEASED.

<<Also, regarding the infection around the root tip of the distal root, I'm aware that the tubules would always be infected, but is there something that can be done (like taking antibiotics for example) to get rid of the visible infection in the xray?>>

THE INFECTION SEEN ON THE XRAY AT THE APEX OF THE TOOTH IS THE PROLIFERATION OF INFECTIOUS BACTERIA THAT IS SPREADING FROM THE INSIDE OF THE TOOTH. IT IS ACTUALLY LARGER AND DEEPER THAN DEPICTED ON THE 2 DIMENSIONAL FILM.

AN APICOECTOMY SURGERY, THIS IS A SURGICAL ROOT CANAL, IS SOMETIMES DONE TO REMOVE THE AREA AT THE APEX. BUT THE PROBLEM WILL ONLY RETURN BECAUSE THE TOOTH IS STILL INFECTED. ANTIBIOTICS CANNOT CURE THIS APICAL INFECTION BECAUSE THE TOOTH IS A BREEDING GROUND OF VARIOUS AEROBIC AND ANAEROBIC BACTERIAL MICROBES THAT ARE NOT KILLED OFF BY AN ANTIBIOTIC.

<<My tooth is reacting to hot liquids at times. Also, it's still sensitive to touch.>>

HOT TEMP SENSITIVITY WITH RC TEETH GENERALLY INDICATES NERVE VITALITY. THIS MEANS THAT THE TOOTH STILL CONTAINS SOME LIVE NERVE TISSUE (COULD BE IN THE DENTIN TUBULES AND/OR THE DISTAL ROOT AND/OR REMNANTS OF NERVE TISSUE IN THE LARGE CANALS) AND IT'S BECOMING NECROTIC. THE TOUCH SENSITIVITY IS LIKELY DUE TO THE VITALITY AS I MENTIONED AS WELL AS THE INFLAMMATION INSIDE AND OUTSIDE OF THIS TOOTH. IN ADDITION TO THE INFLAMED LIGAMENT AND INFECTION IN THE JAW BONE.

<< A few days back, the gums from my wisdom tooth to this tooth got quite red and painful but seem to be getting better now. Could all this be because of the infection at the root tip? >>

EVEN THOUGH THOSE SYMPTOMS SUBSIDED, THEY ARE A SIGN OF ALL THAT I HAVE MENTIONED HERE. AS THE INFECTION FINDS A PLACE TO DRAIN, YOU MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE SYMPTOMS. IN MANY CASES SIMILAR TO YOURS, THE NEXT "SYMPTOM" MAY BE A FISTULA THAT APPEARS ON THE GUM ABOVE THE ROOT OF THE TOOTH. A FISTULA FORMS WHEN THE BACTERIA FROM THE INFECTION BORES A HOLE THROUGH THE BONE AND OUT THROUGH THE GUM TISSUE. AGAIN, THIS IS ANOTHER WAY FOR THE BODY TO RELIEVE THE PRESSURE FROM THE INFECTION.

<<The second dentist I consulted tapped my tooth 3 times with a metal instrument but I did not feel any pain or sensitivity>>

THIS DOES NOT MEAN MUCH IN THE SCHEME OF THINGS. :/

Bryanna

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote