Thread: Christmas panic
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2015, 12:42 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Sally I somehow have a hard time imagining you as Scrooge . But the DH pulled a panic on me. "We" and by such I, of course mean I, had Christmas under control like every other year. I coordinated with my mom, to make some lovely homemade gifts for the GB and DSD, nothing fancy mind you, mostly clothes and a few toys for the GB and then some nice homey things for the DSD.

And what does the DH do? He goes nuts!!! "What do you mean you're going to knit up a teddy bear?" "What do you mean you're making her clothes? Clothes? She needs toys! She needs FUN! It's CHRISTMAS!!!" (keep in mind, GB is only 2, that's right T-W-O, 2 years of age, she has no concept whatsoever of Christmas, Santa... none of it!)

Next thing I know I'm dragged (well more literally pushed around by him) through Toys 'R Us on a weekend, 2 weeks before Christmas Madhouse!!! Then it's off to Target, then through Walmart, then to Kmart, then to Publix to get the makings for Christmas cookies (that he expected me to make up as soon as we got home... haha haha haha yeah right buddy)

The next day it was off to the mall, all three of the malls in Jacksonville... on a Sunday, 2 weeks before Christmas... All in search of (by that time) the ever elusive 'Rarity' from My Little Pony.

My Christmas tree is bulging with and overflowing with toys and gifts for the kid and not a single pair of shoes or set of clothes under the tree. 15 gifts are for all 5 of the adults, and the rest of the presents are for a two year old who would simply love a big box for Christmas. (I have photographic evidence that she loves it to death, a big box and 2 crayons kept my sanity for 3 weeks while her mother was out of town.)

And still my DH was not the most insane this year. My father decided to join my DH in his advocacy for anti-homemade gifts this year, and bought the GB her very own tablet. Like a 2 year old needs an ipad! (More like a 2 year old is going to snap the ipad like a twig within the first week)

And shortly even more presents will be joining the commercial overload under the tree, because my mom and I have not given up the ghost on the essential things that a 2 year old really does need... clothes!!! Slippers, shoes... DSD would kill for just a few free pairs of diapers.

I figure the GB will get tired of opening presents by about the 6th maybe 7th gift. Likewise I see over half of the store bought toys being broken, ripped or otherwise destroyed within the first week. (Honestly, the complete, and I mean every single pony from My Little Pony she has under the tree. Fluttershy, Apple Jack, Apple blossom, Rarity, Princess Twilight, Pinky Pie, Rainbow Dash the mean girls trilogy... and so on.... plus she has plushies of pinkie pie and rainbow dash) And let's not forget the 3' tall Anna doll from frozen complete with matching dress for her to wear. And I lost track of all the other toys he threw in the cart and wrapped up for her.

But does Grandpa spoil the GB? Does the GB have him wrapped around all her little fingers and make him dance like a marionette for her?... Oh no... not him... He's not going to be taken in by some little girl... He puts his foot down when it comes to spoiling her, she knows the Grandpa's word is law (about $500 worth of toys isn't spoiling a 2 year old at all... sure grandpa, you're the boss)
SallyC (12-21-2015)